• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

O-line rankings: Talent and depth rare finds

scpanther22

19. Carolina Panthers: The Panthers were the definition of mediocrity last season on the line, ranking No. 17 in both run and pass blocking. The group is probably a little better than that, given how good the running game was last season despite the collapse of quarterback Jake Delhomme(notes). The good news is that the talent is there for significant improvement with the likes of left tackle Jordan Gross(notes), left guard Travelle Wharton(notes), center Ryan Khalil and right guard Jeff Otah(notes). It’s easy to see that this group could jump six or seven spots

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-olinerankings061810

Umm... how did we rank 17th in "run blocking" when we had the 3rd best rushing offense last year? I also like how he moved Jeff Otah to right guard. It was also pretty convenient that he forgot to mention that our line continued to have a dominating rushing attack when both Gross and Otah were out.

I've never been a fan of Jason Cole, and articles like this one is why.

I don't think Cole read the article at FootballOutsiders very well. We were 17th in Pass potection, which I can see.

Our Adjusted Line Yards, which is how much you run with the help of the line, was 4.03, which is also 17th. But that doesn't tell the story of the running game by itself. Our Power Success % was 11th at 67%, which is good. Our stuffed rank was 23, which is bad, and which probably ties into pass protection. And our second level rank was 1 and open field was 2. We're the best at springing our backs for long runs.

I honestly don't have a big problem with these rankings. Has everyone forgotten how many games our linemen missed to injury? If they get healthy and we get a better right guard, our ranking should go way up.

BTW, the same stats had us at 8th in 2008, when they did stay healthy. And that was with a rookie RT and a RG who can't protect.

I don't think Cole read the article at FootballOutsiders very well. We were 17th in Pass potection, which I can see.

Our Adjusted Line Yards, which is how much you run with the help of the line, was 4.03, which is also 17th. But that doesn't tell the story of the running game by itself. Our Power Success % was 11th at 67%, which is good. Our stuffed rank was 23, which is bad, and which probably ties into pass protection. And our second level rank was 1 and open field was 2. We're the best at springing our backs for long runs.

I honestly don't have a big problem with these rankings. Has everyone forgotten how many games our linemen missed to injury? If they get healthy and we get a better right guard, our ranking should go way up.

BTW, the same stats had us at 8th in 2008, when they did stay healthy. And that was with a rookie RT and a RG who can't protect.

The rankings you noted suggest we were often inconsistent on the line. We would run for a few yards on a couple plays and then bust a big one. We have not always been able to run when we had to which was third and less than 3. Some of that was Hoover being hurt and Fiametta learning, some of that was injuries, and some of that was playcalling that was too predictable. All things which are fixable.

Guys, come on, we all know it's illegal to rank any Panthers unit or team higher than 17th in any sort of rankings. If they ranked running games, here's what I'd predict...

"18. Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Stewart had a decent year carrying the ball, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't stay healthy and both backs fumbled too much. They also struggled with blocking and pass catching. This unit could be better, but it's going to take some improvement."

Guys, come on, we all know it's illegal to rank any Panthers unit or team higher than 17th in any sort of rankings. If they ranked running games, here's what I'd predict...

"18. Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Stewart had a decent year carrying the ball, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't stay healthy and both backs fumbled too much. They also struggled with blocking and pass catching. This unit could be better, but it's going to take some improvement."

Both Stewart and Williams actually ranked in the top 10.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

Here is another site that ranks halfbacks on a number of characteristics:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=HB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Stewart was third in yards after contact.

The offensive line stat is a function of how they played together in ertain situations as well in general. It also is influenced by the play calls as well as the quality of the running backs carrying the rock. They are also weighted towards specific categories such as stuffs for example which areof those the number of zero yards or negative plays. And we had more than our share last year. I think because we were afraid to pass some games and had a number of stuffs and negative plays because we ran the ball and punted without trying to actually pick up the necessary yards. I suspect we ranked much higher the last five games than we did earlier in the year as our passing game picked up. If we throw reliably this year it will make our running game that much better.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=HB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

The offensive line stat is a function of how they played together in ertain situations as well in general. It also is influenced by the play calls as well as the quality of the running backs carrying the rock. They are also weighted towards specific categories such as stuffs for example which areof those the number of zero yards or negative plays. And we had more than our share last year. I think because we were afraid to pass some games and had a number of stuffs and negative plays because we ran the ball and punted without trying to actually pick up the necessary yards. I suspect we ranked much higher the last five games than we did earlier in the year as our passing game picked up. If we throw reliably this year it will make our running game that much better.

I know, my point is since we're a small-market team, the national media will, in the event say the Cowboys, Eagles, Jets and Falcons are even with us in a category, it's a given that we will be ranked below all them. It frustrates me. If you're getting paid to be a national writer, know the players' names, and their positions. It's called research.

I know, my point is since we're a small-market team, the national media will, in the event say the Cowboys, Eagles, Jets and Falcons are even with us in a category, it's a given that we will be ranked below all them. It frustrates me. If you're getting paid to be a national writer, know the players' names, and their positions. It's called research.

I can see people taking a wait and see position with us. It doesn't mean we will stay at the bottom of the rankings. But with as many question marks as we have right now, it is understandable that folks aren't expecting much. It is up to the Panthers to prove them wrong at this point.

I don't know the formula, but I believe FootballOutsiders puts more weight on games at the end of the season than at the beginning.

FWIW, if I got bent out of shape every time a national pundit rated us outside the top ten in anything, I would be having a miserable offseason. Cole didn't rank us 19th because we're a small market team, he ranked us 19th because he looked at the stats and decided that it was where we deserved to be. Let's see how he feels about us if Gross and Otah stay healthy, Moore makes opposing teams respect the passing game, and Robinson works out at Right Guard.

If that happens, I'll bet a Big Block at the Penguin that he has us ranked higher.

Archived