• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So im watching Anderson Cooper...(is this racist?)

TheSaint

..and this chick from Lousiana who also works for Newsweek is on, Julia Reed. I dont know who she is so i google her.

Apparently, the Politically Correct police, and lefty wackos are all over her, because she said that Obama was "out of his cotton pickn mind" during her interview. Its all over twitter, Democratic Underground, etc...calling her a racist.

Wtf, I heard it and didnt think twice about it. Ive heard that phrase used 1000 times in my life and never once equated it with race.

Must be a southern thing...

Ill be interested if this has legs, and if it gets any further than the internet pundits.

knowing how the media loves to blow anything and everything out of proportion for a story, yes it will get legs.

The connection is pretty obvious, cotton became the cash crop and slaves picked the cotton. Slaves picked a lot more than Cotton like Tobacco and Indigo. The general mental image in most people's mind of a slave is a slave picking cotton.

So I can see the connection, but I wouldn't have made the connection. Probably because they say it all the time in the south. And I'm white.

I wonder if the term was originally from the 1800's? I mean slaves generally picked the cotton, and slaves weren't really in high standing. Maybe the term is negative because you're basically saying the person has the intelligence of a slave?

That was a fun journey lol.

I wonder if the term was originally from the 1800's? I mean slaves generally picked the cotton, and slaves weren't really in high standing. Maybe the term is negative because you're basically saying the person has the intelligence of a slave?

the term is actually "cotton pickin' hands" as in "keep your cotton pickin' hands off me." the 'mind' thing is just a variation.

and yes, it is a reference to slavery, and yes, it is a racist phrase.

"Cotton pickin'" is a simple euphemistic semi-curse stemming from a (and not unique to) Southern aversion to swearing in public.

It is less racist than Nick Saban's non-racist use of the word "coon ass" a few years ago.

Have you ever heard about john gruden calling his runningbacks "speed negros"?

Apparently she aint the brightest star.

Wonder what her next job will be?

Who was the golfer who suggested Tiger would want fried chicken and water mellon for the Masters dinner he would set the menu for?

Fuzzy was just old, so he got a pass. Oh wait...

Wtf, I heard it and didnt think twice about it. Ive heard that phrase used 1000 times in my life and never once equated it with race.

Must be a southern thing...

I've heard it probably ten thousand times and used it a few thousand myself. Never thought anything about it. Still don't.

the term is actually "cotton pickin' hands" as in "keep your cotton pickin' hands off me." the 'mind' thing is just a variation.

and yes, it is a reference to slavery, and yes, it is a racist phrase.

Dangnabbit, my parents were racist agin me....they said i was cotten pikn this or that my whole life..!:mad:

"Cotton pickin'" is a simple euphemistic semi-curse stemming from a (and not unique to) Southern aversion to swearing in public.

It is less racist than Nick Saban's non-racist use of the word "coon ass" a few years ago.

How is coon ass racist? I call people that all the time...and they are all white.

Archived