• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

will Jimmy Clausen hold out?

89bottomline

I think the big issue is that you are interpreting picking Clausen as saying that they have completely given up on Moore.

I don't see it that way. They cut Jake and tendered Moore the highest they possibly could.

This team has a history of going BPA. Clausen fell in their laps and they pulled the trigger. I think it was a good move, if Moore plays lights out this season suddenly he commands a huge contract. It helps to have some insurance in case we can't keep him

PS: I would edit the typos in the last line before you get grammar hammered.

Haha my bad, thanks for catching that, I'm not using a comp. So the keypad on my phone fvcks up sometimes.

Teams passed on him the first time, why wouldn't they the second, especially if he wants top dollar?

ETA: "stupidy", "realastic"? Jesus what is this 3rd grade?! Joking, of course. I wouldn't have even caught it had he not quoted you and then pointed it out. I had to glance back over the last line a few times before I caught any of it... :P

If Jimmy Clausen holds out during a QB Competition, it will only hurt his chances.

Plus, seeing a fire lit under Moore's ass because of the competition has me giddy. There's no complaints about if he's taking poo serious or whether he knows the playbook now.

as long as our O-line and RB's hold up Clausen will have an easy intro into the NFL.

There is no such thing as an easy intro to the NFL. He is still going to be facing linebackers, dlinemen, and dbacks that are faster and stronger than those he faced in college. The key point for him and for all rookie Qb's is his decision making and accuracy under pressure. We won't know how he performs until we see him in a game situation.

Fwiw, I think the only reason some prefer Clausen over Moore is because Clausen was a high draft pick and Moore was not. Draft order is now irrelevant. They will both get a chance to perform on the field. And at least for now, Moore holds the upper hand.

There is no such thing as an easy intro to the NFL. He is still going to be facing linebackers, dlinemen, and dbacks that are faster and stronger than those he faced in college. The key point for him and for all rookie Qb's is his decision making and accuracy under pressure. We won't know how he performs until we see him in a game situation.

Fwiw, I think the only reason some prefer Clausen over Moore is because Clausen was a high draft pick and Moore was not. Draft order is now irrelevant. They will both get a chance to perform on the field. And at least for now, Moore holds the upper hand.

Hello, first post!

I disagree on the reason some prefer Clausen over Moore. Clausen, although most of the sports talk idiots that hate him and Notre Dame refuse to admit, was an elite college quarterback. The numbers he put up last year were by far the best output relative to the mediocre team he was on compared with anyone else. For example, Sam Bradford went #1 in the draft... but look at where his offensive lineman have gone in the draft the past few years. For a second I thought all top ten pick in this years draft were going to come from Oklahoma.

What excites me about Clausen is that he's been drug through the mud by the media, lost big, has learned the pro system (absent the speed), and has experience bringing a team back in the fourth quarter.... BEFORE getting to the NFL. In many ways the adversity Clausen has already faced is more significant than what Moore has seen as a backup and then as a replacement starter. Given all the kid has dealt with at Notre Dame it really excites me to see what he can do in the pros.

All that said, I'm not calling for him to start Day 1. But this is a passing league whether we like it or not, and the Panthers will need a top 15 passing game to compliment their running attack if they expect to go deep in the playoffs. I see Moore making less mistakes than Clausen early, but I don't see him becoming a first rate playmaker through the air like Clausen has been at ND. Excited to see it unfold...

• 4 weeks later...

if he holds out then that would just show how ignorant our FO is, we had Golden Tate and Taylor Mays on the board and we chose a projected top 5 QB who is gonna demand big money. We should just drafted Tate and let Clausen fall and loose more money. Yea he was BPA, but not a position that we had major need at...all around it was just a dumb pick especially since J.R. is going cheap this year

And this is why i am glad idiots like you dont run the team....

Geez- its not even worth talking smack... One day you will grow up and learn about football, and how to BUILD a team for the future.....

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously he didn't hold out. Part of that reason appears to be that Hurney and the front office did a good job of making the contract incentive laden so we don't have to pay that much of he sits and it pays him if he becomes the starter and hits his incentives. With a 4th year escalator as well he could make an average of almost 2.4 million per year which is not that much less than Beason got as a first rounder. It is incentive laden for sure but honestly I wish more contracts were structured this way instead of paying guys with no NFL experience, tons of guaranteed money whether they produce or not.

Archived