• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My plan to make soccer watchable

Matt Foley

This is silly the more I think about it. I don't spend a NANO second on things I don't like or believe in.

See the past threads on the Twilight saga? Notice a lack of posts by a certain analogy lover?

mmm hmmm

Because there is nothing Twilight could do to make you watch it. Soccer, on the other hand, has very entertaining aspects...the guys who can stop a ball running full speed and change direction, the guys who can get around a defender one on one, etc. But they ruin it with the stupid rules.

Pre 6am posts on something you don't like? hmm

I will say this though. The idea of getting a point for NOT scoring is bad.

If you are in a 0-0 tie, you get .5 points. A 1-1 tie ok a point but NOT scoring and ending in a tie should not be rewarded the same.

Okay, you got me started now.

Soccer DOES have a "mystical aura." Name another sport that has the vast majority of the world set aside what they're doing just to be entertained. This means ending wars, whether permanently or for the time being. It is a means to escape tyranny and the horrors of 3rd world nations. During this one month, people, whether Americans do or not, have hope.

The game is much more strategic and organize than you will ever know. Countless formations are used to counter the strengths of an opponent and find the weakness in an opponents defense. Give and go's, timeless strikes, and diving saves display the highest level of talent. Granted, yes Meat, goals appear to lucky. Go out in your back yard and shoot a soccer ball 100 times on a net aiming for the upper corner. You will be lucky to score as such maybe 5 times. However, with the level of talent displayed in the World Cup, shots seem to pick these corners effortlessly. For the vast majority of these players, whom were born with a ball on their feet, they do things each game that players at every other level hope to do maybe once in a career. Luck, if your ignorant you can call it that, but I think it's more skill to have that golden touch on the ball.

For reference, please Youtube FIFA best goals, Top 50 Soccer Goals of All-Time, and Best Goals FIFA World Cup 2006. Glorious.

Soccer is far from just a sport, it's a way of life. When literally an entire nation sets its eyes on the pitch to watch their nation compete, nothing else matters. Imagine NYC, LA, Chicago, and every other major city with their streets filled to capacity all glaring at one massive projector screen. Personally, World Cup month is my favorite time of any 4 year period.

Oh and when a player goes down on little to no contact and doesn't get up for a while, it's to give himself and the other 10 men on the field a breather because they have been running non-stop for 90+ minutes without a substitution. Or to kill any momentum. There are reasons for everything that happens on the field just as in any other sports.

All 32 nations had a hell of a time qualifying for this event. Each club brings a different style, a different pace, but they all have the same goal. To win it all. That's the beauty of the sport, there is so much diversity in every aspect of the game, but one team has to win and one has to lose. No sport matches soccer when it comes to emotion and desire.

All I ask is that you watch as many matches as you can during this World Cup. By the end, I'm almost positive you will respect and like the game more. Just wait till a goal in a tied game is scored in the last minutes of a back and fourth match. I get chills just thinking about it.

Two things I have learned whilst watching the world cup so far:

1) There is a giant swarm of bees that attends each game.

2) Even though there is more bodily contact in one play of an NFL game than in a whole soccer match, there are FAR more guys rolling around on the ground in agony (fake or otherwise) in soccer.

Archived