• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My plan to make soccer watchable

Matt Foley

meat is mad there are no numbers on the field. I bet he still struggles with coloring inside the lines

So just answer the question honestly...you don't think these games are decided more on some lucky oaf being in the right place at the right time than on the skills these players took years developing? How many goals are scored by a guy abusing a defender and how many are scored by a guy who the ball just happened to bounce to?

Nope. Concerned about fairness and rewarding effort. Mexico killed South Africa today, yet almost lost the game. That's ridiculous.

Didn't see the game, but all sports can be like this. Whether you lose because of the refs, or because your offense couldn't score...it just doesn't matter. The object of the game is to score. Simple.

Like many Americans, I watched this crap and will now happily go back to my sports where turf is earned (NFL), there is strategy that actually pays off (baseball), or where athleticism simply rules (basketball).

You can keep hockey.

Now I don't see any problem with Football. It's a very balanced game IMO.

As far as Baseball, I honestly don't care. Lots of people standing and sitting around, waiting for someone to hit the ball.. I'm yawning right now just thinking about it. Strategic? No. Boring? Yes.

Basketball is pretty tolerable, though it can easily be ruined by referees. Pretty much anytime a player gets touched, it's a foul. Gets pretty annoying.

Then there's soccer. Another very balanced and strategic sport. But I really don't understand the hate with it here in the US. What, would it make you happy if every goal was worth 7 points? Then those 2-1 games would actually be 14-7! Look at all those points!

What, would it make you happy if every goal was worth 7 points? Then those 2-1 games would actually be 14-7! Look at all those points!

I said in the opening post what would make it watchable to me. Give the guy who maneuvers through a defense using skills and/or hustle and gets a shot off on the goal a point. Make the actual scoring of a goal worth five. Imagine England leads USA 19-15 with two minutes left. Wouldn't that be more exciting than England leads USA 1-0?

I said in the opening post what would make it watchable to me. Give the guy who maneuvers through a defense using skills and/or hustle and gets a shot off on the goal a point. Make the actual scoring of a goal worth five. Imagine England leads USA 19-15 with two minutes left. Wouldn't that be more exciting than England leads USA 1-0?

No. Bad idea. Too many flaws that I don't feel like typing.

So just answer the question honestly...you don't think these games are decided more on some lucky oaf being in the right place at the right time than on the skills these players took years developing? How many goals are scored by a guy abusing a defender and how many are scored by a guy who the ball just happened to bounce to?

Okay, obviously you don't watch many matches, I'll explain to you what happened.

South Africa is not a great attacking team, they just aren't. They have a great striker by the name of Benni McCarthy who didn't get picked because he has attitude issues. As a result of their weakness in attack South Africa relies on defensive stability to frustrate their opponents out of their game plan, which is what they did with Mexico. Unable to breakdown South Africa's defense -- and the goalkeeper is a defensive player -- Mexico decided to push defenders forward in an effort to put pressure on South Africa's defense, South Africa noticed this and switched to counter-attack mode by pushing two men forward from the midfield to support the striker. It worked. The South Africans successfully exposed the gap left in the Mexican back four and scored.

It wasn't lucky.

I guess if you really want to, and you're determined to make a point, you could say that Mexico were unlucky rather than saying Khune played well in the South African goal. But then I could ask, why couldn't Perez make the save for Mexico?

You act as if the ball got caught by a wild gust of wind and hit Tshabalala in the crotch and went in. When in reality he timed his run fantastically, held off the defender and finely placed his shot in an area where Oscar Perez couldn't get a hand on it.

Archived