• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Near death experience

Squirrel

If we're talking about near misses... dear lord... too many to count.

The most recent was when I almost blew through a stop light. The light was dangling on the other side of a bridge I was going under. On top of that, I was really stressed out, and my phone rang as I entered the underpass. I didn't see the light until I was right on top of the intersection.

I slammed on breaks, but was more than half-way through the intersection before I stopped. Thank god a guy in a truck coming from my left was going slow, or I would have been T-boned on the driver side.

If we're talking about near misses... dear lord... too many to count.

The most recent was when I almost blew through a stop light. The light was dangling on the other side of a bridge I was going under. On top of that, I was really stressed out, and my phone rang as I entered the underpass. I didn't see the light until I was right on top of the intersection.

I slammed on breaks, but was more than half-way through the intersection before I stopped. Thank god a guy in a truck coming from my left was going slow, or I would have been T-boned on the driver side.

near accidents are the scariest. it definitely makes you pay attention a bit more afterward.

I almost got t-boned as well because I was driving when I really shouldn't have. Wasn't drunk or anything, but it was finals week and I was on my way to class early at 7am to get some last minute studying in and was running on about 2-3 hours of sleep over the past couple days. Pulled into an intersection turning right on red and some guy had to swerve into the other lane to avoid smashing into me.

Back in the days of Fruit-booting (inline skating) I tried to jump the deep end of the pool, alone. After being dragged to the bottom and barely being able to get those things off my feet before blacking out, I figured out it was a horrible idea.

Was once on a horse that took off on me. First of all, I hate horses. They have minds of their own. This one took off and just kept going and I saw my life flash before my eyes. I was literally crying because I knew I was going to die. Thank God the K-Mart manager was there to turn off the machine.

There's only been one occasion where the thought "Holy poo i am going to die" went through my head.

I was probably 12 or so on a rafting trip. Decent size rapids. The raft in front of us gets completely stuck in a rapid, but we're too close to them and the current is too strong. Our raft is pulled into theirs and flips. I go under and am being churned around. I eventually figure out which way is up and try to go up for a breath, but when i reach up all i hit is the bottom of the first raft. I'm stuck in the rapid directly underneath the first raft. I keep punching at it/flailing trying to find air. Eventually my hand finds an opening and breaks the surface of the water and thankfully someone grabs my arm instantly and yanks me out.

I was probably only stuck for 10-15 seconds tops. But it felt like an eternity. I can still remember the thought when I realized I was trapped. I literally thought "oh poo, this is how i'm going to die".

I stayed away from rivers for a long time after that.

I thought I was going to die when I had my heart attack. I was in so much pain at one time, I was ready to die to end the pain. I didn't realize just how serious it was until they told me the chopper was on the way and they had the dr's ready as soon I got to Wake Med. All I could think about was Chris taking care of the kids and how they would take it.

i believe you need to realize, "im about to die".

the only time i had that thought was being pinned between a camaro and club van. others i was either too dumb or functioning off straight chemicals. it became hard to breath and i thought this was a terrible way to out and be found with guts coming out of your ears, mouth, @ss, nose, etc. i still dont know how i got out and sometimes wish i had not. no question a life changing deal.

Bad accident in an S-10 pickup when I was 17...1/4 mile from home. Put a pine tree in the center of the hood. I bounced around inside and broke the windshield with my jaw. Teeth came through under lip.

Couple near drownings as a kid at beach.

Been concussed twice (one above) and another collision in a soccer game.

My college roommates could probably give you a couple of instances that I can't recall...

Archived