• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Banging head on desk

sunbunny

I give up with one of my inlaws. My FIL received one of those scam sweepstakes checks. I cannot convince one of my SIL's that it's a scam. The other one, I think we've convinced -she's been googling on her own and was skeptical like we were.

Anyway, sister 1 is planning on taking the check to the bank and cashing in the morning. She is convinced it's real, all because she called the number and they were nice and told her what to do. Chris has now hid the check until sister 2 can get over there and take it away from sister 1. I don't know why he doesn't just take it himself and throw it away.

This might get ugly over here in our neck of the woods. I'm the youngest, so I think I can wrestle the check away if I need to, but I try to stay out of their business. LOL

I don't want to see my FIL taken for thousands of dollars just because of one greedy daughter.

And get this, it's a Canadian sweepstakes. I know good and damn well Chris's dad hasn't entered any Canadian sweepstakes.

The check they sent him was to pay Canadian taxes on the $450,000 check that will be "delivered this week". And it came in the mail.

Also, the sweepstakes drawing was supposedly in Feb. So, it takes until now to be notified?

All the scam signs are there. His sister is just too (fill in the blank) to see them.

Did they do anything to receive this great windfall? edit: i see you answered that one...

Have you heard from Deco Worldwide Sweepstakes or American Sweepstakes Lottery or from Alliance Consult Services? If not, good! They have one thing in common – all of them are scams. These are names some fraudsters used to cheat people of their money.

Canadian Sweepstakes scams are run by individuals based in Canada. They send emails giving welcome news to its recipients that they have won the top prize (or sometimes, as we shall see, a lower prize) at a sweepstake. The sweepstakes can be claimed to have such illustrious sponsors as Microsoft, the Readers’ Digest, Publishers’ Clearing House or the choicest Fortune 500 companies.

But there’s a hitch: The recipients of the mail will have to pay a few thousands to cover some expenses. This could be a fee for covering administrative expenses or as an advance tax that has to be paid against the prize. They would be asked to send a check for the said amount to an address in Canada (usually to a woman – it increases credibility, you see).

Some people send the check. And why not? After all, who would not pay a few thousands for the millions that is just within grasp?

But more often than not, it does not end here. If the victim sends a check the first time around, they are asked to send some more on one pretext or the other.

more...

http://www.419legal.org/blog/2008/02/21/never-ever-fall-for-a-canadian-sweepstakes-scam/

I give up with one of my inlaws. My FIL received one of those scam sweepstakes checks. I cannot convince one of my SIL's that it's a scam. The other one, I think we've convinced -she's been googling on her own and was skeptical like we were.

Anyway, sister 1 is planning on taking the check to the bank and cashing in the morning. She is convinced it's real, all because she called the number and they were nice and told her what to do. Chris has now hid the check until sister 2 can get over there and take it away from sister 1. I don't know why he doesn't just take it himself and throw it away.

This might get ugly over here in our neck of the woods. I'm the youngest, so I think I can wrestle the check away if I need to, but I try to stay out of their business. LOL

I don't want to see my FIL taken for thousands of dollars just because of one greedy daughter.

wow. so those kind of people actually exist. i thought it was a 20/20 creation.

btw, please scan and post

Is desk a new euphemism for headboard? :)

You or whomever could call the bank in advance. Its unlikely they would be willing to accept it anyway, but it might help if someone talks to the bank manager and tells them about the deal. Might be that its not even an issue if the bank will not take it.

Archived