• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Replay?

Squirrel

yes lets not look at the call and get it right because effing up and affecting the outcome of the game is a part of the game. hell why not just let the ump sit in the luxury seats and decide whos in and whos out from there. if he gets it wrong its just human error

yes lets not look at the call and get it right because effing up and affecting the outcome of the game is a part of the game. hell why not just let the ump sit in the luxury seats and decide whos in and whos out from there. if he gets it wrong its just human error

Is this a serious argument? I don't know how to respond because what you suggest is idiotic. I don't even care if you were serious or not.

It is part of the game, it always has been. If you don't like it GTFO, you've already said you don't like baseball. I think we get it.

Is this a serious argument? I don't know how to respond because what you suggest is idiotic. I don't even care if you were serious or not.

It is part of the game, it always has been. If you don't like it GTFO, you've already said you don't like baseball. I think we get it.

First off, whats idiotic is that you would even think that was a suggestion. so jokes on you. second who cares what is part of the game. its idiotic not to look at a call because screwing up is part of the game. its just dumb and theres nothing you or anyone else can say that will change it. and i say thats a reason why i don't care for baseball. but i WILL root for the braves. and no you don't get it because I had to explain it.

im amazed that people are defending an easily remedied fault as "part of the game"

Tennis has shown how to effectively supplement "the human element" with a failsafe system. it doesn't slow down the game, no one ever argues with it, and the fans love it.

This makes me sick.....can't even watch another replay of it because it is nauseating. I love the perfect game/no hitter thing and to see this kid lose perfection in this manner is enough to make me go 100% all in on a limited replay system of some sorts.

Props to this kid for handling it with such professionalism and even to the umpire. He manned up and apologized face to face to Galaraga and you could hear it in his interview how tore up he was about blowing that call. What is done, is done and it really is pretty disgraceful. Bring on replay.

I'm gonna take it a step further. With today's technology, why do we need umpires at all? We have pitch trak that can tell the viewers at home exactly where in the strike zone a pitch was. Why can't we just use that for the official count? Why is having a human with an almost completely obstructed view still the best system for calling balls and strikes? Why do we need a human with human perception calling safe or out at the bases when it's almost impossible to watch the ball and the runner, a the infielder's foot at the same time? We have film that can tell us exactly what happened.

Yes, I realize umpire's and human errors are part of the game. I understand there is tradition there. I realize that what I am talking about would totally shake the foundation of the game and upset all the baseball purists, but that's how people reacted when the forward pass came to football. Hasn't that worked out? How would this negatively affect the game?

The game should be decided by the players, but more often than not, it isn't. Every day we let the umpires decide the outcome of these games. Why? When we have the ability to get it right 100% of the time? Aren't we just being stubborn for adhering to this ancient system? Is "tradition" really that important?

I don't know about eliminating umpires on the field but calling balls and strikes? Who knows, it is interesting but I just think it would change the game too much for my liking.

Replay needs to happen though. I know they don't want to make the game longer but at least give the manager a challenge or two. All the other sports seem to do it without a problem....time to catch up with the times baseball.

This was the worst call in sports history (At least baseball) if you ask me. Terrible.

Couple of things though..

1)Think there is a possibility this is overturned and he is awarded a perfect game? I dunno if that should be considered, that is a slippery slope and really opens themselves up for things down the road to be "overturned".

2) Why didn't anyone ask to another ruling from the home plate ump? Can't they appeal it that way?

I'm all for replay. In every aspect of life keeping up with the pace of technology and science is key to human progress. Every successful business must be able to adapt as people become smarter and learn more about what they're doing. Why not sports?

And why are some things ok, but not replay? I mean look at the batting gloves and cleats players wear these days, elbow and shin armor, maple bats, hell even batting helmets. These are all products of technology that didn't used to be part of the game.

As for the "it'll take too long" argument. I think every play should be reviewed, in real time no matter what. I don't like the whole "challenge" idea for baseball or football. Have a few guys (idk, 3?) in the booth reviewing every single play. It will be very quick and easy to determine a wrong call. No need for some one to have to stop the game, throw a flag, have a ump trot over to a booth, put on his headset, etc.

They need to change the NFL replay system to be this way as well.

Heard someone say that Selig should overturn it and make the out count, officially making it a perfect game. He has the power to do that, but I doubt he will.

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball was still deciding Thursday morning whether to review the umpire's blown call that cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game.

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5246454

It will stand as called, and will be the clarion call for all those that want replay in baseball.

I'm undecided.

Many of you know I'm a baseball purist, and prefer the game to remain as close to the old ways as possible, since so much of it rides on our ability to connect through the generations.

Grandpas and sons and grandsons waxing philosophic about this guy vs. that guy, etc.

I worry that radical change is exactly that, and the game is no longer "connectable" thru the ages.

Yes, I am very much aware of the changes to the mound, fields that used to not have outfield walls, glove and other equipment changes, the ***** leagues, steroids, amphetamines, etc etc etc.

But what others have stated about wholesale change and elimination of umpinig alltogether smacks of a different game.

Kudos to Gallaraga and Joyce for the way they comported themselves.

All class.

I would probably be ok with a challenge type thing. You get one and if you blow it, you lose it and if you are right you get another one.

But replaying balls and strikes and every close play at the bags will, despite what some have opined, drag out an already lengthy game.

Selig will not overturn the call....that opens up a can of worms that would set precedent for challenges out the yang of bygone games.

Pass on that crapulanche.

only 1 time before has baseball had 2 perfect games in a season, this broke that record. too bad the umps are seriously screwed up this year. bud do whats right, make the call what everyone in the world knows it was out 27, game over. how the hell can changing this call change the outcome off the game really, it was/is the last damn out.

I don't know about eliminating umpires on the field but calling balls and strikes? Who knows, it is interesting but I just think it would change the game too much for my liking.

Replay needs to happen though. I know they don't want to make the game longer but at least give the manager a challenge or two. All the other sports seem to do it without a problem....time to catch up with the times baseball.

This was the worst call in sports history (At least baseball) if you ask me. Terrible.

Couple of things though..

1)Think there is a possibility this is overturned and he is awarded a perfect game? I dunno if that should be considered, that is a slippery slope and really opens themselves up for things down the road to be "overturned".

2) Why didn't anyone ask to another ruling from the home plate ump? Can't they appeal it that way?

No, they can not. The first base umpire can ask the home plate umpire if he needs help (did he pull his foot off the bag, did he get the tag, etc) on plays that he isn't certain on. But if the first base umpire sees the play and makes a call, then it can't be appealed to the plate ump.

i respect those that want to "preserve the game" but I don't quite get you. its not the 1800s. its not even the 1900s. its 2010. people are acting the like umps are being replaced by robots. technology is used to HELP refs, umps, etc. and its pretty damn obvious that they need it. not quite sure why people oppose it. i don't get why people would rather let the game continue to move backwards instead of forward. just get it right. im done

Archived