• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

AT&T launches new data plans

Dpantherman

AT&T has announced a new set of data plans, starting Monday, for smartphones and tablets (read: iPads) that appear to come cheaper than current plans.

Although the changes might leave some people scratching their heads, I see more to like than dislike--such as iPhone tethering.

(Credit: screenshot by Matt Hickey)

Tethering, which allows a laptop to connect to the Internet via a phone's 3G connection, will be available with the new data plans as soon as Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer, AT&T said in its Wednesday announcement. Tethering will cost an extra $20 and won't work with existing iPhone data plans; it will need to be added onto the new, lower-priced plans.

Monday, by the way, is also the first day of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference and the day that Apple CEO Steve Jobs is scheduled to give a keynote address.

The main difference between AT&T's new plans and the old is that the word "unlimited" is now gone, which at first sounds like bad news. But the unlimited plans, like many other broadband plans, had murky, inscrutable limits.

There are stories of people being charged for going over a certain amount of data without knowing what that limit was, which doesn't make the "unlimited" plans unlimited. To curb this, the just-announced plans give a new declared limit on how much data one gets for the money, fairly inexpensive options for those who go over, and tools for keeping tabs on data usage.

The pair of plans work with any smartphone that AT&T sells, including the iPhone.

The low-end plan, DataPlus, includes 200MB of data for $15 a month. If the 200MB limit is exceeded, another 200MB block is added on for $15. This continues for as much data as is used.

The high-end plan, DataPro, includes 2GB of data--10 times more than DataPlus--for $25. When the 2GB threshold is reached, another 1GB can be tacked on for $10. Each 1GB after that is $10, as much as is used. That's far better than the old overage rate of $100 per GB, or 10 cents per MB...

More...

my contract with AT&T is up in August, and Im moving to the smart phone world, so this is better, im still going to continue look around, but these options are better

The IPhone is by far better then Blackberry and anything HTC has ever put out. I have had Verizon and AT&T and I can't say there is that big of a difference except my wife still has Verizon and her monthly bill is still more than my data plan for my IPhone.

Archived