• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your best golf shot

Matt Foley

My best shot is probably a 330 yard drive, or a 200 yard 4-iron shot that ended up 5 feet from the hole on a par 5.

But my favorite shot was not even one that I made. I used to work as a counsellor for a junior golf camp, and one summer I got to work for a travelling golf camp. No payment, but I got free room, board and play at 5 different courses in 5 days. Fair trade. It was a great gig, basically they just needed enough counsellors to go with each foursome of kids.

Well on the 4th day, I get paired with a kid, like 10 or 11 who's just having a really bad round. And he's just really down on himself, and I'm trying to cheer him up as best I can. On the 18th, a par 4, there is a huge water hazard right in front of the green, and the kid totally blows his drive. I know he doesn't have the strength to get it over the hazard so I tell him to lay up in front of it. He does.

So he sets up for his second third shot, and I can just see he's dying inside. Now, as you all know, I'm not a religious man, but I actually prayed, "Please, God. Please don't let him put this in the drink. He's just a kid trying to have some fun out here. Have mercy!" Well the kid takes his swing, tops it, and this ball nosedives down into the water, and I mean a straight down trajectory. And by some loophole of physics which I will never fully understand, this ball actually skips on the surface three times, gets to the far side of the hazard, bouces up onto the green and rolls 6 feet from the hole. Kid sinks it for a par. Just the elation in his eyes after that made it the best shot ever.

Mine happened on a par 4.

375 yard par 4. Hit about a 200 yard slice onto the adjacent holes fairway. Was completely blind to the green by trees and decided to pull out a 7 wood (I know, a 7 wood!!)

From about 200 yards away, completely blinded by trees, I hit a shot that went through an opening of about 4 feet in the trees and landed 2 feet from the cup. Was playing best ball with my brother against dad and brothers friend. I knew it was a good shot when i heard my brothers friend say "Oh My God"

Eagled #7 (or is it 6?) at Charlotte Country Club few years ago with a 215 yd. 4 iron that trickled up the false front and settled about 6 inches from the cup.

*boner*

You couldn't make that last six inches? Double eagle? Immortality?

I hit 3 out of 5 officers standing in a huddle on the fairway right next to and about 100 yards off of the one I was on when I was on Guam. Worst shanked shot in the history of golf. That damn thing was a bullet too. If it had gone the way I imagined it would in my drunken mind that ball might still be in the atmosphere today.

I never had a lot of tremendous shots when I played. I was a consistent player, but never spectacular. On hole 3 at Northstone Country Club thougjh, I hit a terrible drive from the tips off to the left. I played a draw around trees directly in front of me, and sunk it from about 150. It got a pretty good bounce of the front of the green that redirected it just enough. Went on to shoot a 73 on 18. My 2nd best round on that course.

2nd time I had ever played. The way the course was laid out I couldn't even see the hole I was aiming for, just the flag. The ball was just off the green, and I hit it 40 ft. and sunk it. Everybody on my team was screaming in amazement. I won a Rolling Rock golf bag for shot of the day.

Playing overseas recently. Had to have a birdie on 18 to win the match (didn't know at the time.)

Weak but straight drive left 205 over a hill. Couldn't see the flag Had to pure the hybrid and did. Just one of those that goes exactly where you want it. One of those you barely feel. Watching it rise over the hill perfectly straight i knew it was on course.

Made an 8 footer downhill for the match. beers tasted so good after that

Archived