• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Speeding Ticket

Sameday

Got one last year doing 75 in a 55... hired a lawyer, he took care of everything including the court appearance as well of getting no points on my license. The only thing is I just have to avoid any ticket for 3 years I think it is or everything will come back.

edit: this was in Stanly county

You can call the county DA and talk to them about it... Tell them you are out of state, and want to ask for a prayer for judgement... They might even throw it out completely if you can get your speedometer calibrated, and send them paperwork of it...

If it is in Johnston County, which I doubt if you were heading to GA, I might could help you out... If not, I'd go the routes listed above...

i have had several, and always hire a lawyer to appear on my behalf. the one time I showed up on my own I got no sort of break on my charge. The lawyers have gotten me off several charges on my bike. speeding and careless and wreckless being the majority of them.

You can call the county DA and talk to them about it... Tell them you are out of state, and want to ask for a prayer for judgement... They might even throw it out completely if you can get your speedometer calibrated, and send them paperwork of it...

If it is in Johnston County, which I doubt if you were heading to GA, I might could help you out... If not, I'd go the routes listed above...

BEFORE you do this...check your insurance. See if you get penalized (raised rates) for a speeding ticket that's less than 10mph over the speed limit. Most don't

IF that's the case...just call the DA and explain your situation. Ask that you would like to just plead guilty to 64 in a 55 (9mph over), but explain that you will have some difficulty making the court date and if he could continue it.

What SLJ suggests in the second part requires a lawyer to get an improper equipment charge in leiu of the speeding violation. Like I said...call the DA and try to get a continuation and lay the groundwork on what you're going to do (plead guilty to 64 in a 55 IF your insurance isn't hit).

This saves your PFJ for when you really fark up.

Got one last year doing 75 in a 55... hired a lawyer, he took care of everything including the court appearance as well of getting no points on my license. The only thing is I just have to avoid any ticket for 3 years I think it is or everything will come back.

edit: this was in Stanly county

On 24-27 (Albemarle road) I suppose?

I'm from Stanly County

G5 is wrong you do not need a lawyer and you do not need an improper equipment charge. My first cousin was popped for 15 over and got his mechanic friend to write a receipt for "fixing" his speedometer. All charges were dropped when he presented this to the DA.

G5 is wrong you do not need a lawyer and you do not need an improper equipment charge. My first cousin was popped for 15 over and got his mechanic friend to write a receipt for "fixing" his speedometer. All charges were dropped when he presented this to the DA.

You do not NEED one...but it helps if you're attempting to make an argument and have trouble getting there.

I got two tickets within 9 months while attending UNCC. One outside of Ramseur...and the other near Albemarle. First I was clocked 72 in a 55. Got two continuations as I was a student, but talked to friends and plead to 64 in a 55 and paid the ticket. No points on license/insurance. Second I got 65 in a 55.

Opened the dash of a Nissan Maxima...held the speedometer shaft and turned it ever so slightly. Got calibrated...walaa...10 mph off. Paid lawyer in Albemarle to argue the case and got out of it. No points on license/insurance. I probably could've done it myself, but I was iffy as I'd just gotten one 9 months earlier.

No speeding tickets since btw.

Just pay a lawyer and forget about it. I have always paid a lawyer and have always gotten charges reduced to a non-moving violation. $50 fine and no points. Lawyer is the easiest and least frustrating route. Sign the waiver of appearance pay the money and your done.

Keep in mind that Prayer for Judgement rules can differ from county to county and state to state...

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content34682.aspx

I'd leave a lawyer out of it and try to handle it yourself... get it reduced to 9 over by calling the DA's office... If they refuse, go to court that day and ask for a prayer for judgement...

If you get a PFJ, just don't speed through NC again for 3 years...

Archived