• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Getting inside my Macbook

Ja  Rhule

Took me like 30 damn minutes...

I had my Macbook for 4 years now. It's an awesome thing to have. Well, one week ago it started making clicky noises and few hours later my macbook died. I decided to get inside and fix my Macbook (I never fixed Macbooks before, just pcs'). I saw 3 screws and I was like... man, this was easy! Not... I keep finding other screws everywhere (had to take battery out and other things to find more screws). Total, I had about 30 screws (6 different sizes) that hold my Macbook together... WTF!?

Anyway, I found where clicky noises can from. My hard drive burned down. Apparently, Macbooks have a weakness and it's their hard drives. After 3 years of service they tend to die. Any Macbook user out there, if you hear clicky noises on your macbook (it's very quiet clicky noise which lasts only for about 15-20 seconds) it means save all your information on a back-up storage because your macbook has less than 24 hours to live.

Good news is, it's very easy to replace your hard drive. I ordered me a new hard drive from amazon for $60 which I intend to install as soon as I recieve it.

Yeah in general if you hear those noises you know death is coming. HD's are the last mechanical device left in computers, and if you're willing to fork the dough you can get a SSD and move on into the future. Unfortunately it's still too damned expensive.

But I guess my point is, the HD will break. Every one will. It's just a matter of when.

My first MacBook, I think it was called a Power Book or something... but yeah the arm of the HD nose dived into the disk like after 5 years. I've had my current one for like 1.5y so we'll see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived