• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My dog hurt himself and a little confused on what to do

bleys

I keep the dog out in a pen built for him.. about a 12 X 12 pen with wood fencing him in and a wood floor to keep him off the ground..

about 2 months ago I noticed blood on the rug where the dog was laying.. something happened to his leg.. I noticed this after he moved.. it wasn't bleeding profusely, but he wouldn't let me touch it and obviously something had happened to him.. maybe a minor cut.. nothing of a big deal..

today, I go to get him out of the pen and he's hurt quite a bit.. on his hip is a spot he has been licking and I can't get close enough to inspect it since he tries to bite the poo out of me if I get near..

I'm rather concerned because he can't lay down.. perhaps he should have been taken to a vet, but I don't usually over react with stuff like this.. he isn't bleeding and it isn't an issue with his leg (broken bone or torn tendon).. it's just a sore spot where something broke a little skin.. (from what I can tell)

however I'm coming up empty on ideas on what to do at the moment, but don't think it's serious enough to take him to a vet.. perhaps it is if he can't lay down though lol..

every time he tries to lay down he yelps.. if something touches it, he yelps.. don't touch it or you may lose a finger..

I've talked to my dad about it and with all his years of experience with dogs (no doctor, of course ;)), he doesn't seem to think anything immediate is needed.. and to take more of a wait and see approach..

I've had to deal with a lot of different issues with dogs, but this is one I'm coming up at a loss.. 1) how the hell does he keep getting hurt.. but more importantly, he can't lay down.. so I'm bouncing this off of you all to kind of get some better ideas than the lack of ones i'm coming up with...

it sounds like he developed a habit of licking the cut, so it never healed properly and got infected. i would take him to the vet to get some antibiotics and watch him extra closely and correct every time he starts to lick it.

my dog cut her paw on some ice when it snowed last, and i had to correct her constantly to keep her from licking.

I agree. If animals yelps while trying to sit down, there is a problem!

Take him to the vet!

I hear ya.. with this happening before and not being an issue, I just figured it was sore more than anything..

I'm at a loss on how this happened though.. there isn't any sharp areas around and there are no rough patches in the wood to cause splinters..

i know. i'm sensitive.

yeah dude.. no dog is going unattended on my clock.. matter of fact, he's in the shade and has a box he can hang out in case of rain.. he's the 2nd dog I've had with this pen and have never had this issue, ever...

Archived