• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Got some new supplements...

This summer I have decided to get back into the gym and work out hard for the next few months and I plan on carrying that work ethic into next fall when I'm back at school.

Anyways, today in the mail I got the various supplements I ordered a few days ago. One is Gold Standard Whey protein, Gold Standard Casein protein, AST micronized creatine, Redline by vpx, and a free multi-vitamin.

For the Redline and multi-vitamin, it recommends 3 daily, but I am young and not overweight so I think I will take the Redline once or maybe twice a day. Does this sound reasonable? With the amount that came in the bottle, once a day should last me a summer.

For the whey protein, there are 24g of protein in a heaping scoop, do most people usually take this after a workout? If so, what is a recommended dosage per drink? And how many should I typically have daily?

Casein protein is slow absorbing and used right before bed. I will make myself a drink before I go to sleep, but once again, how many scoops? (one is 24g protein as well).

Finally, the creatine is vital to my endurance and strength in the gym. I have read the directions for the loading stages of intake, and the maintenance stage. Is creatine most beneficial to take prior to, during, or post workout?

As for my measurements, I'm roughly 5'11 175lb. Was a two sport varsity athlete in high school, but over the last two years of school I have remained the same weight but my muscle has turned back to fat. I don't look overweight, just in my own eyes. My goal is to trim off all the extra body weight, and replace it with muscle. What do all you gym rats think/recommend?

Thank you.

This summer I have decided to get back into the gym and work out hard for the next few months and I plan on carrying that work ethic into next fall when I'm back at school.

Anyways, today in the mail I got the various supplements I ordered a few days ago. One is Gold Standard Whey protein, Gold Standard Casein protein, AST micronized creatine, Redline by vpx, and a free multi-vitamin.

For the Redline and multi-vitamin, it recommends 3 daily, but I am young and not overweight so I think I will take the Redline once or maybe twice a day. Does this sound reasonable? With the amount that came in the bottle, once a day should last me a summer.

For the whey protein, there are 24g of protein in a heaping scoop, do most people usually take this after a workout? If so, what is a recommended dosage per drink? And how many should I typically have daily?

Casein protein is slow absorbing and used right before bed. I will make myself a drink before I go to sleep, but once again, how many scoops? (one is 24g protein as well).

Finally, the creatine is vital to my endurance and strength in the gym. I have read the directions for the loading stages of intake, and the maintenance stage. Is creatine most beneficial to take prior to, during, or post workout?

As for my measurements, I'm roughly 5'11 175lb. Was a two sport varsity athlete in high school, but over the last two years of school I have remained the same weight but my muscle has turned back to fat. I don't look overweight, just in my own eyes. My goal is to trim off all the extra body weight, and replace it with muscle. What do all you gym rats think/recommend?

Thank you.

Creatine makes your cells hard. It does this by packing water into the cells. This gives you a more ripped apearance. However when you stop the creatine, you will piss like a race horse for several days! As your cell shed the extra water. I was never a big fan of creatine, unless you were going to do a show, then you wanted to load up to give you that definition! It's actually L-Creatine, and if I rememer right, it's an amino acid.

On the protein, what are the calories? Whey was intended to be a meal replacement while adding extra calories while you worked out to feed your muscles. (Muscles burn way more calories then fat does.) So, read what the calories are and adjust your workouts and eating accordingly.

It's not unusual for serious body builders to do 2800 even 3200++ calories a day while in training. The normal person who does that. Is going to get FAT! The average man needs between 1800-2000 calories a day. Depending on your age and lifestyle. When I dropped my wieght in the '90's I was on a 1200 calorie/day intake.

On your vitamins, look at what they contain. I always liked taking individual vitamins rather than a multi vitamin. That way I could taylor what my body needed. I always took 1,000 IU's of vitamin E (The real stuff not the synthetic.), along with amino acids and a testosterone booster. (Though if you don't work out, this can lead to road rage! Increased anger! Be VERY careful if you do this.) That's probably why they recommend that you take 3 per day. (I was popping 12 pills a day!)

I'd recommend that you start with a meal replacment and go from there. Eat baked potatos instead of fries, skinless chicken when possible. etc.

I"m sure things have changed since I was serious back in the 90's too. I would recommend that you either pick up Muscle & Fitness or Men's FItness magazines.

You might want to consider: (This is serious bodybuilding!)

- Animal pack once a day after the workout (this is a very serious supplement pack)

- Amino acids, two tablets in the morning, two before the workout, two after the workout, two before bed.

- L-creatine, two before the workout, two after the workout.

- Protein shake, 30 minutes after you took the amino's and L-creatine after the workout.

- Eat/drink lots of dairy during the day.

- Animal stack can be used every 2 months to pack on some weight.

How is your diet looking? I would also suggest fish oil. If I may make a suggestion: I would get into the gym and get a routine going for about 6 weeks or so before starting the creatine and all that. Get your muscles and tendons used to the weights.

I say this because yeah, you will feel a boost from the creatine and you will lift more, but you run a greater risk of injury due to lifting heavy right out of the gate. The protein is fine though, eat a good meal about 30 mins. or so before lifting and have a scoop of whey post-workout.

I been working out since I was 16 years old.

Im still 6 feet tall and 180 pounds of lean muscle. Little fat.

never needed any supplements and suggest neither you nor any one else does either. steroids were developed during and after ww2 to put meat back onto the frames of starved concentration camp victims.

taking some sort of supplement to gain muscle mass is no different than some dude with a bad toupe or a woman with an ass implant. its fake any way you look at it.

no pain no gain.

Thanks for the posts. I am going on my 3rd or 4th week now of using weights without supplementation this summer. I have been lifting since freshman year oh high school, and have gone on and off ever since. Junior and senior years was intense, with a weight training class and lifts after school as well.

Most people recommend supplements to some degree. My final years of high school, when I lifted twice a day for 4 seasons (fall, winter, fall, winter,) I never took anything but protein. However, I feel I hit a wall in both my physique and my confidence. My program is Monday-Friday, with a different muscle group each day. I start off with a 12 minute light jog to warm up, then go into the weights. 5-6 exercises for each muscle group (arms, legs, chest, back, shoulders). High reps, low weight, I'm trying to tone whats on me while losing extra weight. At the conclusion of each day, I do abs and around a half hour of cardio.

As for my diet, to start off the summer I got rid of every piece of junk food I could find in my house. I have been eating potato, salads, and lean meats. Now just trying to incorporate the proteins.

Don't listen to Hairless Cat. That may be one of the dumbest things I have heard in a while.

I personally take Syntha-6 as far as protein goes. Each scoop contains 23g of protein. I take 2 scoops 30 minutes prior to working out. And then I take 2 scoops within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. Then maybe once or twice more throughout day. I get about 100g+ of protein per day.

As for a pre-workout pump-builder I take N.O. Explode, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a pre-workout supplement that reduces muscle fatigue.

I also take Nitrix to increase vascularity, and Cellmass as a post workout muscle recovery supplement.

It's all about what you want to accomplish though. But definitely up your protein intake as well as your complex carb intake. A diet is one of the best things you can do for muscle gain and overall health.

The only supplement I use is an Oh Yeah bars for breakfast in the morning after exercising. They are awesome, taste great and plenty of protein. I only do it because its tasty and easier than making eggs. Other than that I just try to eat some protein for lunch and dinner along with some veg.

Don't listen to Hairless Cat. That may be one of the dumbest things I have heard in a while.

I personally take Syntha-6 as far as protein goes. Each scoop contains 23g of protein. I take 2 scoops 30 minutes prior to working out. And then I take 2 scoops within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. Then maybe once or twice more throughout day. I get about 100g+ of protein per day.

As for a pre-workout pump-builder I take N.O. Explode, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a pre-workout supplement that reduces muscle fatigue.

I also take Nitrix to increase vascularity, and Cellmass as a post workout muscle recovery supplement.

It's all about what you want to accomplish though. But definitely up your protein intake as well as your complex carb intake. A diet is one of the best things you can do for muscle gain and overall health.

Too true. Sadly, though, the diet is what most people miss out on. People think they can go into the gym, start benching, go to Bojangles, and get a huge chest. Well, you might get a huge chest but it probably won't be the huge you're looking for.

As for protein, get 1-1.5g of protein/lb lean muscle mass if you really want to gain some mass.

What is your workout routine?

The only supplement I use is an Oh Yeah bars for breakfast in the morning after exercising. They are awesome, taste great and plenty of protein. I only do it because its tasty and easier than making eggs. Other than that I just try to eat some protein for lunch and dinner along with some veg.

I second the Oh Yeah Bars....by far the best tasting protein bar on the market and the one with the least amount of sugar. By far the best.....and their drinks are great also. Great company right here in Charlotte.

I agree with the fish oil.....very important and all are not created equal so do your research but take 6,000 mg a day not just one or 2 pills.

I know Dirty Magic loves NO Xplode as a pre workout and although it does work it is basically because it just a bunch of caffeine and fillers that tear your stomach down. Do the research on this as well and compare the facts about NO Xplode vs. Jacked 3D and make an informed decision.

Most importantly though is eating right and taking a good multi vitamin like Opti-Men.

Good luck on your workouts and achieving your goals.

you are the dumb one

whats all that crap youre taking going to do to your body in 20, 30, or 40 years? do you or the phoney fugs who push it have any idea?

I bet my old wrinkled up body can whip the sh-t out of your drugged up arse pound for pound any day of the week

See my second post above

Yep. Reading fail on my part.

I hope you're not doing all those muscle groups all on the same day and not every day.

Also, it's difficult to lose weight and retain a lot of your muscle. That's why all body builders have either bulk cycles or cut cycles. Not saying you want to be a body builder, but the same thing applies.

That being said, trying to retain most of your muscle strength/size while losing weight, 1-2lbs a week is a healthy weightloss goal. Anything more than that and you're definitely going to see some muscle loss. So you need to be sure you're eating enough. And enough of the right things.

Also might want to cut back on the cardio for your purposes.

Kudos on getting back into it and being serious.

you are the dumb one

whats all that crap youre taking going to do to your body in 20, 30, or 40 years? do you or the phoney fugs who push it have any idea?

I bet my old wrinkled up body can whip the sh-t out of your drugged up arse pound for pound any day of the week

Haha. You really have no idea what you are talking about. No one is even remotely discussing "drugs". Most things utilized in supplements are found in every day foods, just concentrated in form.

And no, sir. You absolutely can not "whip the sh-t out of my drugged up arse".

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everyone else is wrong and you are the one that has it all figured out. Good luck!

no no youre right of course. Injesting chemical substances in un naturally large quantities is GOOD for you! All food is GOOD! Isnt it? Especially if someone packages it up and sells it as some sort of muscle/energy inducing HEALTH FOOD!

good luck with that einstein. When your nuts are little more than shriveled raisins in another 10 years youll wish youd listened to the one voice of reason on this forum

Archived