• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Favorite all time games by genre

Guild

Inspired by the classic PC game thread I was curious as to what people's favorite all time games are based on genre.

Please feel free to use my template and to post a screen shot for each pick.

Adventure: Relentless Twinsen's Adventure (Little Big Adventure in Europe)

One of my all time favorites. Cool graphics in it's day and the most relaxing music I can remember. Also frusturated the hell out of me as a kid and is directly responsible for me learning how to play games effectively and exploit bad AI.

g13779k1ihr.jpg&ei=MCj8S_X1DYOB8gaSrrDpBQ&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNGHTIvlssOzCVSpBxmbYipmiAYScA

Action: Crusader: No Regret and Crusader: No Remorse

I loved these games as a kid. It was one of the first games I remember in which almost everything could be destroyed. The weapons were also fun to use. Nothing like freezing and liquefying anyone foolish enough to cross you.

pccovera.jpg

Puzzle: The 7th Guest

Creepy and difficult. I could never beat this one as a kid. This was the very first game I ever had on CD-ROM.

256px-T7G-Box-Cover.jpg

RPG: Baldur's Gate 2

Easily my favorite RPG though Planescape Torment is right up here as well. I still play this through a couple times a year at least.

baldurs2_screen005.jpg

Strategy: Heroes of Might and Magic

Loved this game. It doesn't really float my boat anymore, but the only strategy games I've played more are Warcraft 2, 3, and Starcraft which I honestly never enjoyed as much. Though Warcraft 3 custom games come close.

heroes-of-might-and-magic-logo-by-ubisoft.jpg

Sci-Fi: Toss up: Mass Effect or Star Control 2.

Star Control 2 is one of the all time greatest games ever made in my opinion and thus has to be on this list. I'd never play it today as it is painfully outdated now so I also have to give mention to Mass Effect and it's sequel as being the best Sci-Fi game I'd actually still play.

star-control-2-cover-thumb.jpg

Wildcard: Ultima VII Parts 1 and 2

This was such an amazing game that at the time nothing else could compete. Great sprites, a complete living world, consequences to your actions, hidden items all over, epic adventure, hilarious conversations and subtle references. Were I to make a top 100 games of all time chart this one would unquestionably be in the top three.

U7murder-735125.jpg&ei=Ny38S4X4AoH48AaT7Kj1BQ&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNH2OO66jqaZjHn6YSL7GVFY1ObvaQ

RPG: Fallout 2

Action: HL2

Strategy: C&C Generals

Puzzle: Portal or The Incredible Machine

Sci Fi: System Shock or Deus Ex

Hard to argue with Fallout 2.

I haven't actually played Half Life 2 though... I may need to rectify that this week.

I've never been a big fan of C&C after the first one.

Portal is amazing but I haven't heard of the other one.

Great choices on Sci-Fi as well. Especially Deus Ex.

Hard to argue with Fallout 2.

I haven't actually played Half Life 2 though... I may need to rectify that this week.

I've never been a big fan of C&C after the first one.

Portal is amazing but I haven't heard of the other one.

Great choices on Sci-Fi as well. Especially Deus Ex.

IMO HL2 has no faults. Honestly. Others will tell you different but it's one of the most complete games I've ever played.

Incredible machine is a very early physics game circa 92/93

as far as strategy Civ II would be up there as well.

Used to play the hell out of the original Age of Empires. Had a on going tuesday night game going with friends for the longest time.

That game was awesome. Large games with multiple players could take an epically long time.

Nice picks Natty... except Zelda. I've been a PC gamer since I first played Beachhead on my Dad's C64 so I've never been impressed by console games.

What genre do you put "Leisure Suit Larry" in? :lol:

Obviously, adventure/horror/mystery is my thing. Loved the Gabriel Knight games. Ripper was very cool too. And I'll always have a fondness for Police Quest 4 since that was what got me started.

What genre do you put "Leisure Suit Larry" in? :lol:

Obviously, adventure/horror/mystery is my thing. Loved the Gabriel Knight games. Ripper was very cool too. And I'll always have a fondness for Police Quest 4 since that was what got me started.

Adventure. You seem to really love the genre.

Make sure you play Beneath a Steel Sky it is freeware now and you can get the CD-ROM version with all the sounds quite easily.

Also go play Noctropolis, my favorite superhero adventure game ever.

Archived