• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Life Changing Career Choice...Airline Pilot

The Saltman

Ok guys so, Ive been contemplating this for a while now. This isnt something I can do overnight obviously but it is something I have to do. I make a good living but I hate my job. I know, Im very lucky to be doing what I do and very lucky to be able to accumulate a bit of cash for savings and investments. The thing is I have always been wanting to be an airline pilot since I was a kid and never really worked at going for my dream. I know it would be a significant pay decrease since I will be starting from scratch and I also will be having to come up with some monies for pilot license and such.

My plan is to go back to school and finish up my degree and get a bachelors since that is one of the prerequisites for these jobs. Obviously save up some more money for the pilot license and have some more savings for my family while I start my way up in the Airline Industry. Who knows, this might take me 3-5 years to do but I dont want to look back on my life and be like, man I wish I would have really done something with my life.

Tell me this, is this a stupid Idea? For the people in the airline industry what is your opinion?

It will probably take you much more than 3-5 years and a lot of money. Let me emphasize that again: a LOT of money. If you go the civilian route get ready to spend tons of cash just to work up to getting a mediocre paying pilots job so you can eventually work up the flight hours. The best path would be military, flying cargo planes, because then you won't have to pay for the fuel for the flight time. Also ex-military are preferred as pilots, but even if you go military a lot of times you will still have to stack hours before you can finally take the commercial pilot's certification test and get your commercial license. Then, get ready to do more mediocre paying pilot jobs while waiting for your chance at an open spot with an airline, but be forewarned, among pilots in the industry veteran status is everything and layoffs are frequent due to the nature of the business. During this whole time, the nature of many pilots jobs will probably keep you living/working in a rural area or spending tons of time away from family/friends.

Definitely go for it if it's what you want to do, but just know it appeared to me to be a long and rocky path. Getting your private license, if you have the money, would be a good step 1.

Definitely go for it if it's what you want to do... I do believe Razzy is right though. Getting up to be a commercial pilot is tough... especially if you don't have military experience...

I don't have any doubt that you can be flying, but it will be a lot of cargo type stuff to start.

I know it is going to be expensive and it is going to be most time consuming. Most of the stuff I have read on it is pretty bad nowadays. Layoffs, low income and the like. I am most probably going to go ahead and get my private pilots license soon to see if that is really what I would enjoy doing.

Get your license and then buy a plane. When you have a bad day at work, come home and fly it. The airline gig cost too much money from the civilian side and the job is boring, flying from point a to point b for little money. You are better off spending your money on your own ride and using it to take trips, go barnstorming, etc. You can fly for the enjoyment of it and use it as an escape. Plus you can meet a lot of good people at your local airport.

Trust me life can be a lot of fun at a thousand feet and 120 knots.

There are different ways you can go about it but it depends on what you want to do. I would suggest getting into corperate flying better pay and better stability.

If you want to go Commercial Airline mode get ready for long days and alot of time from the family. I would advise you to stay away from it. What you are looking at right now is thousands of laidoff pilots and low pay. You will need to build up your flying time and pilots license and that can take 3-5 years. You can also to schools that specialize in getting pilots their license and flying time but it will cost you money. Once you get out you are still looking at low pay until hiring picks up.

Cargo is a decent route and there is a Cargo airline in Denver NC near Charlotte. Still will have to build up time and ratings but you would be near home. With Cargo you ae looking at alot of night flying but you dont have to put up with Passengers.

Not going to tell you not to do it as I love working in the aviation field. But I've been doing this for 10 years and have seen the past 2 airlines I worked for go out of business. My next gig I have to move to Michigan to stay in the business.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and if you need anymore advice let me know.

Archived