• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In the market for a new TV

Chimera

I've had my eyes on the Samsung LEDs since they came out. The price hasn't come down enough for me yet.

As far as reviews, I always skip the "professional" reviews. I find that scores go up or down depending on the amount of advertising dollars from certain companies. I'm not saying Consumer Reports is guilty of this, but it is always in the back of my mind.

I prefer user reviews.

I've had my eyes on the Samsung LEDs since they came out. The price hasn't come down enough for me yet.

As far as reviews, I always skip the "professional" reviews. I find that scores go up or down depending on the amount of advertising dollars from certain companies. I'm not saying Consumer Reports is guilty of this, but it is always in the back of my mind.

I prefer user reviews.

Quite simply most users are stupid, go with the pros or respected bloggers. Customer reviews are very unreliable.

I think one thing I don't like about pro reviews is that they note cons that most users will never notice in image quality.

Consumer Reports is pretty trustworthy. My parents went with a Panasonic 42 inch plasma based on CR reviews, not sure the model but they are really nice.

Panasonic Plasma's are great. I'd argue that they are the best value out there. You get great picture and sound quality, a large picture, and a low price.

LG LED tvs are awesome. I have a 50 inch plasma and 50 inch LED tv both from LG and love them. I would definitely recommend checking them out.

I agree. I have two LG plasmas. Another plus for LG is many of their models have 2 year warranties on the panels and then the standard 1 year warranty that everyone else offers on everything else.

One thing I'll say from my experience selling TV's for 2 years is that I saw way more Samsungs come back than anything else. We sold more Samsung's too so I'm sure that contributed a bit, but we also had way more Samsungs have issues on the floor than anything else. Seems that discolored lines were very common on the Samsung panels. We also had an unusual amount of Panasonics be broken out of the box.

Also, have heard countless nightmare stories about dealing with Samsung's customer service when problems arose.

Archived