• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smoker question

GentlemanJack

I just recently bought a grill that came with a side smoker. I have never used a smoker before. I thought I might try it out tomorrow with a brisket and I have a couple of questions that you guys may be able to answer.

1 Do you have to soak the wood chips and for how long do you recommend?

2 Do you add charcoal with the wood chips or just chips alone?

I appreciate any feedback/comments.

I wouldn't soak the chips, let them burn clean instead of smoldering. You will get a better flavor with dry chips. To get a long burn on the coals build a nice pile and put some chunks or wood chips in them, then add a few lite coals on top and let the other light by themselves. Make sure you use lump or kingsford competition charcoal if you do this as other will put out a bad flavor. This is called the minion method and will give you a longer burn on the coals so you are not checking or adding them all the time.

I wouldn't soak the chips, let them burn clean instead of smoldering. You will get a better flavor with dry chips. To get a long burn on the coals build a nice pile and put some chunks or wood chips in them, then add a few lite coals on top and let the other light by themselves. Make sure you use lump or kingsford competition charcoal if you do this as other will put out a bad flavor. This is called the minion method and will give you a longer burn on the coals so you are not checking or adding them all the time.

How can I be reassured that you know something about smoking?

J/K.

I gotta try that. From what I hear, you are the foremost expert on all things cooked outdoors. And your products are teh bestest.

Thanks!

I think a good compromise is finding really small chips and soaking them. If you get really big pieces hack them down a little. That way you won't compromise a consistent temperature but you will also lessen the chance of getting an acrid smoke from burning the chips.

For your first time I would go with soaking. It does make it harder on the coals but you have a bit of wiggle room to mess up. If you burn the chips you're brisket will taste like pewp.

oh Im so trying that this weekend.

img0354s.th.jpg

Bought this baby a couple weekends ago and that small drum on the right is a firebox that turns large drum on the right into a horizontal smoker.

Smoked a few things so far and am loving it.

Is that a Char-Griller? The model that is a gas grill on the left and a charcoal grill on the right? If so we've got the same model.

Inimicus, that is normal for lump to pop and spark out of the chimney, some brands do it more than others. Try to get Royal oak or Wicked good lump brands. Cowboy lump pops pretty bad. I used to use lump all the time, now I use kingsford competition. That's all we used down at Memphis in May last week and it worked out very very well.

For those smaller offset smokers, try chunks instead of chips, they last longer and you won't need as much.

Archived