• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What year did you begin to really like music?

pstall

I really started loving music in like '95. I was a rather youthful lad, and I stole my Dad's Guns N' Roses-Appetite for Destruction and The Offspring-Smash. I jammed out for a few weeks before he realized I had them.

And this lead to me eventually becoming a guitarist, and liking music where the instrumentalists are talented. Be it guitar or sax or the freaking harpsichord.

The first song that I would go up and down my little AM radio looking for...

so 1975, weird song to connect to, but I was 9...

I remember hustling money playing pinball machines when this song was out. Might have been a year or two after it blew up.

I was 7 winning money playing pinball against guys 6 times my age.

Always loved music (shocker!)

I was introduced to music around age 7 with my Dad's album collection, it consisted of Black Sabbath-Paranoid, Queen-News of the World, Pink Floyd-Animals, Boston-(the one with psychadelic Einsteins on it??), Led Zeppelin, and America

first album that I got infatuated with was And Justice For All in 1989. Got the cassette from my delinquent cousin and wore that poo out.

In 1990 I got Bon Jovi's New Jersey for my bday and was hooked on that for a while

Then in 1992 I got hooked on Queen, thanks to Wayne's World and Bohemian Rhapsody. The funniest thing about Queen for me is it was a staple at family functions as early as age 3, so when I started listening to their stuff I already knew most of it.

dad was an AM dj on radio and played guitar in a band. So, like at 5 or 6 it was from Santana to Crosby Stills and Nash. Then in high school when the thing was either alternative or classic rock or The Dead, I was into Gershwin. Just could never follow the crowd.

Steely Dan always there from day one.

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon.

Stuck some battleship pieces in the speaker cover and watched them jump around while getting high on youth and my first conscience exposure to rock. I think I also listened to Black Oak Arkansas that evening. Must've been in 1990ish.

My dad has been a musician since before I was born... My earliest memories are from hearing his band (Central Park at that time (local beach/top 40)) play stuff on the road, and hearing all kinds of music...

My earliest specific memory (artists) of recorded music were from a tape I got from my dad that had a mix of electronic dance and classic rock stuff like "No Parking on the Dance Floor," "China Grove," "Frankenstein," and "Freakazoid." I was also a huge Michael Jackson fan and had his vinyl records... I remember rocking out on the front porch to "Thriller" and having to move the needle when it got to the part where the guy was laughing, because it scared the poo out of me as a kid... I even had the "Beat it" era red jacket, a glove, and T-Shirts with MJ on them...

In Elementary school, it was Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer, even though I still liked a lot of top 40 because pops was still hanging out with Central Park (running sound at this point)...

In middle school, I had a brief country phase (as dad was in a Country band now), and moved to pop-punk (Green Day - Dookie) and grunge (Nirvana/Pearl Jam/radio rock) going into late middle school/early high school...

Then I started buying the hell out of some CDs... I still had a love for everything from my past, but started delving into classic rock a bit more... From Zeppelin to Sabbath, to Nuget and others...

I bought a Sabbath cover album, "Nativity in Black," in which a lot of metal/experimental bands covered their songs... "Symptom of the Universe" came on, and I was amazed at the drumming and just militant feeling the band, Sepultura, had... I bought some Sepultura CDs and started falling in love with music all over again...

I then started going into their "Thank You" section of their CD inserts and buying CDs of bands that they listed...

From there, I've gotten into heavier and heavier stuff... This brings me to where I am now...

Also lost in there somewhere is that I still had a love for good rap, like Biggie and Pac, somewhere in late middle school/early high school... and I still listen to it at times today...

My dad has been a musician since before I was born... My earliest memories are from hearing his band (Central Park at that time (local beach/top 40)) play stuff on the road, and hearing all kinds of music...

My earliest specific memory (artists) of recorded music were from a tape I got from my dad that had a mix of electronic dance and classic rock stuff like "No Parking on the Dance Floor," "China Grove," "Frankenstein," and "Freakazoid." I was also a huge Michael Jackson fan and had his vinyl records... I remember rocking out on the front porch to "Thriller" and having to move the needle when it got to the part where the guy was laughing, because it scared the poo out of me as a kid... I even had the "Beat it" era red jacket, a glove, and T-Shirts with MJ on them...

In Elementary school, it was Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer, even though I still liked a lot of top 40 because pops was still hanging out with Central Park (running sound at this point)...

In middle school, I had a brief country phase (as dad was in a Country band now), and moved to pop-punk (Green Day - Dookie) and grunge (Nirvana/Pearl Jam/radio rock) going into late middle school/early high school...

Then I started buying the hell out of some CDs... I still had a love for everything from my past, but started delving into classic rock a bit more... From Zeppelin to Sabbath, to Nuget and others...

I bought a Sabbath cover album, "Nativity in Black," in which a lot of metal/experimental bands covered their songs... "Symptom of the Universe" came on, and I was amazed at the drumming and just militant feeling the band, Sepultura, had... I bought some Sepultura CDs and started falling in love with music all over again...

I then started going into their "Thank You" section of their CD inserts and buying CDs of bands that they listed...

From there, I've gotten into heavier and heavier stuff... This brings me to where I am now...

Also lost in there somewhere is that I still had a love for good rap, like Biggie and Pac, somewhere in late middle school/early high school... and I still listen to it at times today...

Dude! Sepultura! They're one of my fave bands ever. Roots in 96 was an iconic album.

So sad when they broke up, neither Soulfly or the reformed Sepultura ever reached that same level. Have you heard any of the Cavalera Conspiracy stuff?

Archived