• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Defense sustain Peppers loss?

brian

Its all in the hands of Charles Johnson and Everette Brown. Now that we have resigned Brayton we only have to replace Peppers. We know that Johnson can play but the question is Can Brown? In a limited role he made some good plays and I remember someone posting that he was 3rd in quarterback pressures.I can't remember the stat but I know that the article stated he was one of the top rushers statistically, and we all know how much playing time he had. We don't know how well Brown can do playing as a everydown end. Johnson and Brown will fight for the starting job but I could see them in a rotation. Greg Hardy was a beast in college but might need time to develop. He is unproven and has had problems in the past with coaching and consistancy which is not good but hell Peppers took plays off also.

The truth is that teams planned against Peppers and always had him doubled teamed. Now with him gone will teams plan on doubling Johnson or Brown? I highly doubt it. Brown can get to the quarterback and he could put up double digit sacks easily this season. Only time will tell but I have faith in our defensive line and believe that we let Peppers walk for a reason not to mention the front office traded a first round pick for Brown so obviously they see something in him that many do not.

We could not replace 2003 Peppers by a long shot. We can easily replace 07 threw 09 Peppers.

I agree and i think he is a very expensive player past the zenith of his career.

A great player who could have been a legendary player. That;s the issue. Did he set any records with us? Kevin Greene had more sacks in a season and probably Lamar too.

He will anchor the Bears defense but will not be the legend that everyone wants him to be

maybe

Let's go brown

I agree and i think he is a very expensive player past the zenith of his career.

A great player who could have been a legendary player. That;s the issue. Did he set any records with us? Kevin Greene had more sacks in a season and probably Lamar too.

He will anchor the Bears defense but will not be the legend that everyone wants him to be

maybe

Let's go brown

Some how I dont even see him anchoring there D. He is def sold in run protection and Pass rush but as we all know thats trumped by his laziness. IDK if anyone can motivate him at this point.

And I don't think he can blame his taking plays off on the double teams, Lawerence Taylor and Reggie White were double teamed and game planned against every game they went into. Peppers just got lazy.

I will miss his blocking kicks though, man could he get up there and knock those things down. Maybe he should have stuck to basketball.

The defense HAS been sustaining the loss of Peppers for some time now. As we all know, nobody ever had a clue about which Pep would show up for any given game. Beason had to call him out to elevate his game last season. I remember when Pep was easily blocked all season long in 2007 by single blockers, often those blockers were RBs and TEs! I think the loss of Pep will manifest itself if we have a strong, consistent offensive performance this year. That would imply that we will put up points on the board, and have teams playing catchup, which means them having to pass the ball. That's Pep's forte.

I don't think his loss is going to be that damaging. Heck, we were 8-8 last year with him.

Archived