• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3.0 GPA is that sufficient??

Dpantherman

Yes unfortunately so.

As a funny aside...

I have a business associate in the Charlotte area that was telling me that on two different occasions she had a candidate for a job -again new college grads- show up to the interview with one of their parents. In one case we decided it was a transportation issue but in the other the parent wanted to "sit in" on the interview.

WTF?!?!:eek:

She showed the kid the door...

That is absolutely fugin' ridiculous. I'm not that old (28), but it disgusts me to see that sort of thing in the current generation. Can the youth of today do nothing for themselves? My parents raised me to be very self-sufficient, and I am very grateful for that.

I was just talking with a friend who teaches community college about how today's youth have traded personal responsibility for a sense of entitlement. This discussion came after she told me one of her students stormed into her office yelling about her grades because she failed her. Also, I've had other professors tell me that students' parents have called to talk about their grades.

Unbelievable.

Yes unfortunately so.

As a funny aside...

I have a business associate in the Charlotte area that was telling me that on two different occasions she had a candidate for a job -again new college grads- show up to the interview with one of their parents. In one case we decided it was a transportation issue but in the other the parent wanted to "sit in" on the interview.

WTF?!?!:eek:

She showed the kid the door...

:lol:

Yeah, not many people would take that person seriously.

2nd place, Spelling Bee, 3rd grade (I still have trouble spelling guard)

I got out on my second word.

If the woman had a stuffed-up nose and you can't tell if she's saying "bewilder" or "bewildered" then she shouldn't have been reading the damned cards!!! I want a do-over!

I'm updating my CV with the following:

2nd place, Spelling Bee, 3rd grade (I still have trouble spelling guard)

Citizenship Award in the 5th grade

Most Likely to Kill a Small Person, 8th grade

Highest number of tardies, 12th grade

You just better hope the first-place spelling bee winner doesn't apply for the same job, or you won't have a chance.

one of the first things i learned in college was, its not what you know, its who you know.

i am graduating college in a month with a 2.8 but have a great amount of contacts from all of the experiences i have gone through during my time here.

X

one of the first things i learned in college was, its not what you know, its who you know.

i am graduating college in a month with a 2.8 but have a great amount of contacts from all of the experiences i have gone through during my time here.

Every internship I've ever looked at required above a 2.5 but they told everyone a 3.0 was pretty much the cutoff point.

X

Every internship I've ever looked at required above a 2.5 but they told everyone a 3.0 was pretty much the cutoff point.

ive never had an internship request to see my academic transcript, so....

probably depends on your field. my degree is in graphic design, so finding a job was portfolio based. if you're in a field where what you've learned can't be shown in something like a portfolio, gpa might be more relevant.

I was a history major and the last 13 years as far away from that major you can get. Finances.

But I do get to use history in other venues. Right now the job market is so flexible and elastic that to me, GPA is NOT enough. In fact it's a primitive way of doing biz.

I was a history major and the last 13 years as far away from that major you can get. Finances.

haha isn't that how it goes.

my major in graphic design and minor in art history led into business ownership.

on the plus side it does save me a lot of money on marketing. the company who does door decal things wanted to charge 85 bucks an hour to design it. can do all of the logos, shirts, banners, etc myself and save hundreds.

i remember having a huge argument with my roommate sophomore year about how meaningless GPA is. his argument was if you have a low GPA, you wont get hired at a job you want. my argument is why the hell would anyone care what grades you got in college.

also, i have asked several people if GPA should go on your resume. in school, they told me anything above a 3.2. one of my internships i asked one of the people that does the hiring and she said, its not entirely important but if you have a 3.8 it should go on there.

Archived