• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3.0 GPA is that sufficient??

Dpantherman

GPA really matters only when you're right out of college. Particularly in this day and age of unemployment and competition. The thing is, employers only have a limited amount of information on you when looking over your resume. And while it is possible to overcome a less than impressive GPA in an interview, the chances are much less that you would even get the interview if you do not have a solid GPA.

Remember this, most employers (with the exception of specialized fields) get a huge amount of resumes every day. And when they look over the stack, they are not intently reviewing it to identify the perfect candidate, but skimming it to weed out the weaker ones and reduce the number of resumes to focus on. Quite frankly, they do not have time to look closely at every single resume until they get it to a reasonable number. So, if you do not have any experience, and are a recent college graduate, GPA is most definitely something they look at.

With that said, I would definitely try to stay above 3.0, and even improve upon it if possible. While it is a pain now, it should definitely pay off in the long run.

Let's see. High GPA or the ability to think on one's feet and move without the ball and be proactive?

Have a good one, sure, but don't lose sleep over going for super high only to be tossed into the same fish barrel with everyone else at the starting line of employment.

This is the way I always looked at it... my wife kept a 3.9 GPA all thru undergrad... she studied her ass off, read and re-read all the text books, had no free time and was constantly worried about it.

I paid attention in class, took notes and did my assignments on time, but rarely studied outside of that, and ended up with a 3.2 and I enjoyed my college experience a LOT more than she did.

I was somewhere in the middle. On some subjects, I sluffed off and other's I studied my @ss off! (Engineering Major) I ended up with a 3.5 out of 4. (3.75 going into my last semester, but interviewing and travel took my GPA down.)

3.0 isn't bad if it's out of 4, some schools actually have a 5.0 system! (But I think there are few left these days.) Where 5.0 is an A+.

I would do what you have to not to let it go under 3.0. Keep in mind that your Last semester you will be busy!

There was an article on Careers.com that said employers, with all the grads and little jobs, are able to pick the creme of the crop! I suspect this to continue for the next 2 years!

If this is your first year, 3.0 isn't bad. I started with that my first year an finished with a 3.6. You probably want that the be a bit higher once you finish college though, depending on what you're wanting to do.

Grad schools pretty much wont take anyone with a GPA lower than 3.0

Has someone had the Santa's not real talk with you about that movie and it being, ya know, just a movie?

Although I've seen someone do that for a shelf exam.

Says the man who got a kidney transplant from a guy named Luke. Because his name was Luke.

You have your Star Wars fetish, I have my Real Genius. capiche?

I wouldn't encourage anyone to fug off in college but...

True story.

About 8 months ago I was looking to expand my team. Entry level position on my staff so I was targeting recent grads for the position. Ended up with ~70 resumes for the job. After a about a week of resumes coming in I began to schedule interviews and of some of my first calls were to people who had included GPAs > 3.75 in their CV. I know above I said that I never cared and while I didn't the HR dept where I work does care so I had to start off playing by their rules.

Not a single one of them got past the 10 minute mark.

Once I stopped looking at GPA's, stopped looking for "the best", I started finding much better candidates. Ended up with a guy who didn't even list his GPA on his resume and I never asked what it was.

Take your studies seriously. Just don't think that a 4.0 is an acceptable substitute for a full and well rounded college experience. I would rather hire someone who went to all of the football games, or was in social clubs and has "war stories" to tell about those 4 or 5 years than someone who graduated Cum Laude with a 3.96.

just the .02 of someone who has been hiring people for 15 years...

<-----what he said----->

Archived