• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CarMax

Carolina Husker

They're probably $1,200-$1,500 more for a car than I think it should be listed for, but that's not a huge deal if they can give me a deal on the extended warranty (6 years, 70,000 miles bumper to bumper).

Just wondered if it was even worth my time to work the guy on that angle.

I bought my wife a van from Carmax. Great experience. Got the remaining factory warranty and the Carmax warranty. Think it was around 50K miles.

Great experience. Saved a ton of money on a van with under 10K miles. Shopped around for months and they were the cheapest by far.

I also got more than blue book for the POS I traded in.

i can only judge on old information(yrs ago) about them and its not good. used cars are themselves risky form any sort of dealer. public,auctions,used car scum salemen, etc it doesnt matter.

depending on what type, wear, manufacturer, time of year(just sold my jeep, they sell better in warmer climate), market, economy, area, supply/demand you get the price of said car. jeep/convertibles dont sale well in canada, but near a beach and much warmer price gos up.

i would deal with craigslist, ebay, cars.com etc. before carmax.

jerry cadorette a fellow puller ran numerous dealships at the same time, said to call around and tell each dealer that you are pricing car X and whats your best no BS price. they get in a bidding war and EVERYONE is dieing to make a sale. if your must have that car at carmax, get another "offer" form a local dealer and see what happens.

do your research and dont be scared to jew them down.

• 1 month later...

Bump for anymore leads on decent car lots (not necessarily Carmax).

The wife and I have been looking at a variety of used cars in the last month, but no one wants to negotiate. That would be fine if they weren't $1,000 or more above KBB.

Anyone know of anybody selling a cheaper SUV in the $5-7,000 range? Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc.

Bump for anymore leads on decent car lots (not necessarily Carmax).

The wife and I have been looking at a variety of used cars in the last month, but no one wants to negotiate. That would be fine if they weren't $1,000 or more above KBB.

Anyone know of anybody selling a cheaper SUV in the $5-7,000 range? Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc.

Good lord son.

Buy a Ford Explorer before any of those mentioned.

Good lord son.

Buy a Ford Explorer before any of those mentioned.

Really? I've read positive reviews about all of them on Edmunds. Furthermore, several members of my wife's family have had Jeep products that have really lasted quite a while. Her dad's Jeep has 240,000 miles on it and is running like a champ.

Nothing wrong with a Sante Fe. Hyundai has come a long way. It's gonna be hard to find one in that price range, though. Not a newer one, at any rate.

I will never own another jeep, and I've had two. I can't recommend a liberty at all. I hated mine. If you do buy one, I have a panthers tire cover you can have. On the plus side, you an probably pick one up, cheap.

Look at Explorers. The market is flooded with them, and you can usually pick one up for a decent price.

Archived