• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nightmares over wreck we saw

sunbunny

That is a terrible memory....sadly will always haunt you.

When I was 18 I was walking my dog...saw a car speed by, and then heard a sound that sounded like the car hitting a Rubbermaid trashcan (that was my thought at the time)....I looked up to see a 4 yr old boy flying in the air. He landed on the pavement like a rag doll. His 6 yr old brother ran to him and let out an awful scream. A minute later, the mother was there. The boy died that evening. It is many years later (don't need to say how many) and I play that scene like it was yesterday.

I hope your guy made it. In any event you helped him...hope that helps you some. (((hugs)))

I remember seeing a Motorcyle wreck when I was 12 or so years old. Happened at the intersection near our apartment. Really bloody scene. Memory is still with me.

I went to a Motorcycle safety course before I bought my bike. One of the things they told us about intersections was to make eye contact with the car in front. If he doesn't make eye contact, be prepared for him to pull out.

I took it a step further and always expected the cars to pull out in front of me. Served me well, until I sold my bike last year.

yup!

on a side note, many doctors/cops/firemen/paramedics have alot of serious drug and alcohol problems as well....that's their way of dealing with what they see and do all day.

Almost all of them develop an extremely warped sense of humor to deal with it too.

At times I have a very dark sense of humor, and I love the drink. Maybe firefighting is for me after all.

hard to see, forgetabout the iran hospital.

watched one EMT tell of guy get caught between subway car and the huge concrete divider...........spun only his lower torso more than a few times, only form the wirst down spun 360 time after time. the insane part is the guy was alive and the EMT had watch as and talk to him while died and that took awhile.

some deal with it better than others, go get help.

When I was on the USS Iowa, we had a gun turret explode and kill 47 people. I watched them pull out two bodies that were burn't so black that it was impossible to tell who was who. They had to twist and break the bodies to get them out. It was a horrifying thing to watch, and something I hope to never see again.

I work in an ICU and after awhile you get numb to things that would otherwise gross you out or make you sick. Starting out it wasnt what I saw, it was alot of the smells that got to me.

ya...for me it was usually the sounds...I had pretty good luck blocking out the visions!

yup!

on a side note, many doctors/cops/firemen/paramedics have alot of serious drug and alcohol problems as well....that's their way of dealing with what they see and do all day.

Almost all of them develop an extremely warped sense of humor to deal with it too.

For me, I found that my skin just got real thick for most things I would see. Kids are always going to be hard to deal with. I've seen some poo that would make the average person puke uncontrollably and not have it bother me at all.

Indeed.

General Surgery and Trauma pretty much numbed me to adult stuff. Been there, done that, just don't die on my watch plz.

But you'll never see controlled panic, even amongst the most hardcore "health care warriors" like you do when it comes to a little kid.

Must be something hardwired inside us to protect the young and innocent.

Their little faces stay with you and I'm having a hard time right now just typing.

I think I'm gonna have nightmares just from reading this thread :(

Long time ago, I had wanted to go into law enforcement. I decided against it because I can't detach my emotions from people's tragedies. You have to be able to do that to a certain extent to be in law enforcement or medicine. Otherwise the grief would drive you insane.

Long time ago, I had wanted to go into law enforcement. I decided against it because I can't detach my emotions from people's tragedies. You have to be able to do that to a certain extent to be in law enforcement or medicine. Otherwise the grief would drive you insane.

Yeah, you have to be a certain type of person to be a doctor. Perfect example is the guy who killed my grandmother.

He fugged up her heart surgery and put her in a coma. Then when the family all came to be with her, the doctor tells us to hurry up and make our decision whether or not to pull the plug, because he has his vacation scheduled for the weekend and he wants to know if he should cancel or not.

I, for one, could never be a doctor.

Yeah, you have to be a certain type of person to be a doctor. Perfect example is the guy who killed my grandmother.

He fugged up her heart surgery and put her in a coma. Then when the family all came to be with her, the doctor tells us to hurry up and make our decision whether or not to pull the plug, because he has his vacation scheduled for the weekend and he wants to know if he should cancel or not.

I, for one, could never be a doctor.

That "certain type of person" is called an a$$hole.

I'd have punched him in the face/kicked him in the nuts for that, then sued him.

Archived