• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nightmares over wreck we saw

sunbunny

A second accident occurred at 5 p.m. on the southern side of the same intersection in front of the Giant Crab Seafood restaurant, Collins said. A car turned onto U.S. 17 and, failing to yield to traffic, collided with the motorcycle, he said.

Collins said he could not comment on any injuries resulting from the crashes.

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/05/09/1464552/several-motorcycle-crashes-reported.html#ixzz0nibEPJVO

All I could find on it...

At least he had a helmet on, but 35-40 is fast when you're talking about your body hitting something solid.

Call your local FD, they can help you out with Post Traumatic Stress.

I was a FF at one point, and saw many of these type things, most go away after a while, but a few will stay with you forever. Thats just the way it is.

Good Luck.

Call your local FD, they can help you out with Post Traumatic Stress.

I was a FF at one point, and saw many of these type things, most go away after a while, but a few will stay with you forever. Thats just the way it is.

Good Luck.

you got that right....my first ever fatality accident is still with me...the sounds more so than the sights....and the above mentioned little girl will never leave me I am sure.

Is this the buffet restuarant with the giant crab on the roof?

Even in a car, I never try to turn against traffic on that stretch, you're best just going down to the nearest intersection and pulling a U-turn.

Yep. Seems like they have a van or something out front with a crab on it, too.

consider it Beaux...the training is excellent and most of the experiences are very rewarding, there's nothing like helping your fellow man in his time of need. Fortunately, depending on where your hall will be, the really really bad experiences are few and far between, typically! You do grow immune to some of it.

I applaud any of you guys who have to deal with situations like this frequently (firefighters, EMTs, police, etc.).

I've often thought off becoming a volunteer firefighter, but I don't know if I could deal with some of this stuff. Especially Hawk's story about the girl. :(

You can deal with it, everyone can, some just can compartmentalize better than others. It's really a matter of IF you want to have to deal with those sights/memories/scars.

You can still be very helpful to your local FD's and RS's, just donate your time to them, or see if you can join the "F Troop".

Some places will let you join and do things like help with prevention, cooking during the meetings, going to the schools, etc....not everyone on a FD likes running into burning buildings, and cutting people out of cars.

There is a volunteer Fire Department walking distance from my house, and I have though about joining. Seeing disturbing stuff hasn't bothered me since I saw crime scene photos when I was working for America's Most Wanted. That's not what made me think better of it.

What scared me was the volunteer firefighter fatality statistics. What really shocked me was how far down the list "fire" was on the cause of death. The far and away #1 killer was car accidents.

I applaud any of you guys who have to deal with situations like this frequently (firefighters, EMTs, police, etc.).

I've often thought off becoming a volunteer firefighter, but I don't know if I could deal with some of this stuff. Especially Hawk's story about the girl. :(

Ditto. I couldn't do stuff like that for a living, it would drive me insane.

My friend is a Paramedic. I have to stop her telling me stories about her job - I've no idea how she does it.

Yeah I have a friend who is an EMT in Oakland who does the same thing to me. We'll be talking about a movie or something, and then from left field comes a story of the latest shotgun wound victim.

There is a volunteer Fire Department walking distance from my house, and I have though about joining. Seeing disturbing stuff hasn't bothered me since I saw crime scene photos when I was working for America's Most Wanted. That's not what made me think better of it.

What scared me was the volunteer firefighter fatality statistics. What really shocked me was how far down the list "fire" was on the cause of death. The far and away #1 killer was car accidents.

Many FD's allow men and women as young as 16 to join, hence the massive amount of accidents.

Join, you will meet some great people, and learn some life skills that you can't get anywhere else.

yup!

on a side note, many doctors/cops/firemen/paramedics have alot of serious drug and alcohol problems as well....that's their way of dealing with what they see and do all day.

Almost all of them develop an extremely warped sense of humor to deal with it too.

For me, I found that my skin just got real thick for most things I would see. Kids are always going to be hard to deal with. I've seen some poo that would make the average person puke uncontrollably and not have it bother me at all.

Archived