• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

EA to charge extra for used games

TerriblePizza

I get what you're saying. Maybe Gamestop shouldn't sell many used games for $40-$55.

I don't think that this is just a money grab... this is getting money from people who buy their games used.

They're basically saying... Hey, if you don't buy our games from us, fug you, you're paying us to play it online.

Then why was the 360 version of Final Fantasy 13 on 3 disc? So you think 7 gigs of disc space is fine? And Microsoft did cut corners all around the 360 when making it. So I do believe MS does encourage DLC with DVD9

I honestly see nothing positive about DVD9.

"Don't fall for Sony's hype about blu-ray." Yeah and tell that to their developers...

That used game ends up being near a 100 percent profit for gamestop after everything is said and done.

Let me explain, a game cost a company normally 48 dollars (gamestop runs poo tonz of advertisements which lessens the cost to Gamestop for new games, main reason for this is they own Game Informer.) So the average cost ends up being around 38 dollars a copy.

So you buy a new game for 64 dollars from gamestop, then 3 weeks later trade it in for 25 towards another new game. So they've made 26 the first time in profit, then you buy another one, they make the same 25 dollars. They turn and sell that game for 54 dollars and that 54 dollars turns a 60-70 percent profit for them, not counting the original and second game you bought from them.

Matter of fact it's how the company makes a profit at all, around 85-90 percent of the company's profit is from used games.

Even the great Bungie did something similar the Halo: Reacharound beta. You had to buy that craptastic ODST do access the "free" beta.

By the way, EA laready kind of already started doing this. If you buy a used copy of BC2, you have to pay $15 for the VIP code which was given to the original buyer at no extra cost.

Even the great Bungie did something similar the Halo: Reacharound beta. You had to buy that craptastic ODST do access the "free" beta.

By the way, EA laready kind of already started doing this. If you buy a used copy of BC2, you have to pay $15 for the VIP code which was given to the original buyer at no extra cost.

Yep, it's just going to get worse for Gamestop and used games. EA, Bungie, Activision are all against used game sells. They want it to stop, so paying for online MP if you buy a used game isn't crazy if you ask me. GS rips off way too many people with used game trades and so forth.

I bought my last copy of madden 2 years ago. Same game every year. I'll just play 2k4 till I die thanks. That's ridiculous of EA to charge for multiplayer. The only time a game should cost extra for multiplayer is if the company will need the money for server upkeep, like many MMORPGs.

I miss 2k. :(

oh and lol consoles

The only company stupid enough to charge for DLC on PC so far has been Bioware and Gearbox and IW. And they haven't been so successful at it.

Then why was the 360 version of Final Fantasy 13 on 3 disc? So you think 7 gigs of disc space is fine? And Microsoft did cut corners all around the 360 when making it. So I do believe MS does encourage DLC with DVD9

I honestly see nothing positive about DVD9.

"Don't fall for Sony's hype about blu-ray." Yeah and tell that to their developers...

Out of nearly 800 games, FF13 is the rule, not the exception, right? Gotcha.

Of course Microsoft encourages DLC, but it has nothing to do with DVD9. Uncompressed video are the space taker-uppers, not game content.

Out of nearly 800 games, FF13 is the rule, not the exception, right? Gotcha.

Of course Microsoft encourages DLC, but it has nothing to do with DVD9. Uncompressed video are the space taker-uppers, not game content.

No, when I brought up the FF13 taking up 3 disc of DVD's, it was a response to you saying.. Blu-Ray isn't important, basically.

After making a game with uncompressed video, 50 gigabytes of storage space comes in handy. Alright, so when a 360 exclusive is made, how much disc space is left on a DVD to add the rest of the information, even after compressing the hell out of the game? Not much.

DVD9 is a drawback to gaming because most developers don't want to pay for each disc with each game. And bam..DLC is sold of content they couldn't fit on one DVD disc.

I'm not going to cite any hard facts here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the cost of discs is negligible on any format (not including handhelds). Packaging and shipping, along with competing for shelf space in stores are different stories, however.

I said blu-ray is hype, not unimportant. Sony left the fate of the PS3 to how well blu-ray would be received by the public. In 2006, this was a stupid, risky move. Today in 2010, we can say it was a move that paid off. However, blu-ray, as a format, is still hype. It will be a while before it replaces DVD (if it ever does).

HD-DVD was hype and so is blu-ray. I have both players and dozens of movies on each format. But when I'm looking for a new movie, am I going to pay $30+ for a blu-ray or $15-20 for a DVD that I can still watch in 1080p? Granted, it does not have the superior sound of blu-ray, but is sound really worth double the cost?

As far as games, I do everything I can to skip through video. Unless the story is very intriguing, I really don't care for video in games. This generation of games does not have very many exclusives on 360 or PS3. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'd guess less than 10% of games are exclusive to one system or another. When 90% or more of PS3 games do not require blu-ray (evidenced by the fact that they are available on the 360) then that tells me blu-ray is hype.

I'm not going to cite any hard facts here, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the cost of discs is negligible on any format (not including handhelds). Packaging and shipping, along with competing for shelf space in stores are different stories, however.

I said blu-ray is hype, not unimportant. Sony left the fate of the PS3 to how well blu-ray would be received by the public. In 2006, this was a stupid, risky move. Today in 2010, we can say it was a move that paid off. However, blu-ray, as a format, is still hype. It will be a while before it replaces DVD (if it ever does).

HD-DVD was hype and so is blu-ray. I have both players and dozens of movies on each format. But when I'm looking for a new movie, am I going to pay $30+ for a blu-ray or $15-20 for a DVD that I can still watch in 1080p? Granted, it does not have the superior sound of blu-ray, but is sound really worth double the cost?

As far as games, I do everything I can to skip through video. Unless the story is very intriguing, I really don't care for video in games. This generation of games does not have very many exclusives on 360 or PS3. I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'd guess less than 10% of games are exclusive to one system or another. When 90% or more of PS3 games do not require blu-ray (evidenced by the fact that they are available on the 360) then that tells me blu-ray is hype.

You're missing the point with that comment though. Sure there are plenty of PS3 games on the 360 and vice versa. But what you're missing is that the true best games that sell systems are first party titles. While third party games don't get a benefit from blu-ray the first party games see it 10-fold. Games like God Of War, MGS4, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 etc etc just wouldn't be possible in their current form on the 360. And as for your comment about preferring DVD's over blu-ray thats just your opinion. I personally will never buy a regular DVD again after seeing my first blu-ray, there is just too big of a difference in the quality.

Archived