• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Please Help---- Fallout 3

theyhateme45

I've had my 360 for a few years, but only played a handful of games.... most of them being sports. Anyway I have some free time over the next month and wanted to get back into games, and experience some that I missed. After reading thru old post on this forum, and some online reviews the first two games I decided on were Assassin's Creed 2 and Fallout 3.

Assassin's creed was great... loved the story, the open world, everything was great.... Only bad thing was I finished in 3 days... but I knew it was supposed to be way shorter then Fallout 3, thats why I started with that first.

Now the issue.... started playing Fallout 3. Escaped from the vault, got to the first city and now I am stuck. It is annoying the poo out of me. The problem is I have very little weapons and ammo.... I cannot find ammo anywhere in megaton. The stores that I believe sell them are locked, and of course I can not get in. So every time I go out into the wasteland I am getting attacked by scorpions, moles, and other little creatures. Because I have no strong guns, no ammo and my weapon stats are low they kill me every time!!!! I have to use my baseball bat to try and fight everything, and they usually come in packs of 3. My EP are low, so I believe thats why i can not do much with my V.A.T.S. while fighting. I have a little caps, but I am trying to hold on to them until i can buy ammo. I have a couple stimpaks, but those can go in seconds when I am out in the wasteland.

If anyone who played this game can please give me some advice. I do not know what to do at this point, and my frustration level is pretty high.... I'm tired of getting killed by these little creatures.

The difficulty is adjustable through the pause screen. If the stores are locked come back at a different time.

That, you should be able to steal and sell some stuff around megaton...if you don't mind stealing.

the beginning of the Fall Out 3 is kinda tough...you need to be conservative with your ammo and med-kits. Try to focus on using melee weapons early on and only use guns in situations where you have to. Also, collect loot as much as possible and go back to town frequently to sell items and heal. Try to unlock the house in megaton asap..its helps a lot.

They are locked because it is night time... Either "wait" until daylight (on PS3 it is the select button) or go to the common house to sleep to pass time faster... Sleeping also restores all your health...

The best way to earn money from the beginning is to start helping Moira with her Wasteland Survival Guide... You can find her in Craterside Supply in Megaton... Also, see Walter at the Water Processing plant to do the quest to help fix the plumbing (there are 3 leaks in town, but there is a skill prerequisite to do it (which you can use items/change clothes to get your skill high enough)... and you can also get a scrap metal quest going with him to earn caps on the side...

I agree... Get your Explosives skill to 25 somehow (I think Mentats will give you +5, and if you added anything at the beginning, you might already be close enough) and disarm the bomb in Megaton (Lucas Simms will give you the quest for it) and get the keys to your house...

This game is all about getting a good build (raising skills that compliment each other) and being smart with your ammo... Look for ammo everywhere, from metal boxes, to filing cabinets, to desks, to just sitting around on shelves... don't "steal" it from anyone when there is someone in the room, and be conservative with what you have (use VATS system at a close enough range not to miss)...

Like someone else said too, be sure to pick up stuff that you can take back to Megaton to sell or trade to Moira... Stuff like Sensor Modules, cigarettes, Pre-War Money, and other junk can bring you some good cash early on...

I'm currently going through my second time around on Fallout 3, and it is still the best game I have ever played... Once you know what you're doing, it is pretty easy, and a great way to kill time...

You're trying to hard.

This game is a piece of cake. Just wait until daylight using the WAIT command. You can find the control layout in the options menu I believe.

Don't worry about ammo or health you get lots of both.

If you want to use VATS then make sure you have a high agility. My typical starting build is something like this if I plan to use VATS (console) (on PC I take no agility because VATS is useless when I have a mouse):

S 3 (-2)

P 8 (+3)

E 3 (-2)

C 8 (+3)

I 8 (+3)

A 8 (+3)

L 2 (-3)

Tags: Science, Lockpick, Stealth*

* the last one can be anything I prefer stealth because I am a sneaky hunting rifle user.

Never start with a 10 in any stat and when you choose perks NEVER choose a perk that directly ups a skill rating. Always choose perks that either change an aspect of the game, percentages, a stat improvement. Don't make any stat a 10 with your perks either, you will get a bobblehead that adds +1 for each stat so if you already have a 10 it is wasted.

Also, go around the back of megaton and get the sniper rifle out of the hollow rock. You can find a YouTube video showing where it is located.

Also with no expansions then the Hunting Rifle is the best weapon so get one and let the ass kicking commence.

Interesting approach...

I usually start out with:

S-7 (+2) (I like carrying a lot of junk to bring back and sell, plus it cuts down on how often I have to return)

P-4 (-1)

E-6 (+1) (I'm not big on big guns or unarmed combat, but I do like to have a little more resistance to damage/radiation)

C-7 (+2) (I like being on the jew end of bartering, and you have to admit, I am a charismatic SOB)

I-7 (+2) (I'm a smarty pants)

A-5 (0)

L-4 (-1)

I then normally tag Small Guns, Bartering, and Repair... or Small Guns, Lockpick, and Repair...

I like to pickup a lot of junk at the earlier stages and sell it/trade it, so bartering helps with that... Small Guns is pretty much useful the whole game, and the few enemies that you will have to use bigger weapons on, you won't encounter until you have had time to raise Big Guns independently...

Lockpick and Repair are both useful early on, as you can save a lot of money repairing your own gear and find better gear than you normally would without cracking locked things...

The most valuable things to sell are weightless. Also power armor improves your strength so that you can use heavy weapons.

High perception is critical when starting out for starting skills, also you get the enemy warning on your compass much further away. This makes a big difference when you are in the desert and at high enough levels to be fighting Deathclaws or Yao-Guai.

High max hp is worthless so Endurance is not important. I say max hp is worthless because A) stimpacks are plentiful (the average person will have 200ish extra by the end) and B) 1hp or 100 hp makes no difference to combat effectiveness.

Intelligence affects skill points per level so you want that to be high and you want it to be high at the start. In my starting build with less agility I would start with 9 intelligence.

Overall your build is effective SLJ but not very optimized.

Also nothing in the game is tough enough to bother with heavy weapons anyway imo. They are to heavy for what they do and the Hunting Rifle is so efficient that you can kill any enemy as long as you have some distance.

Never save missiles or missile launchers. Missiles are just cash or trade objects. Launchers you should leave where they lie.

Repair is a really good skill though.

Oh yeah, never take the Here and Now perk. Also never take the bonus experience point percentage perk. You will easily hit max level without them.

Even more: Never worry about having to go back to sell things because you are full up. Just drop some crap that isn't worth as much. Resources in this game are just so plentiful it isn't worth it unless you are trying to buy all those things for your house.

The most valuable things to sell are weightless. Also power armor improves your strength so that you can use heavy weapons.

I sell things like Fission Batteries, Big Guns, etc, and collect things like Pre-War books, Scrap Metal, etc. for quests... These are not weightless... Plus, I don't worry with Power Armor until towards the end anyways...

High perception is critical when starting out for starting skills, also you get the enemy warning on your compass much further away.

lol... I don't care how far away they are... I still kill them before they kill me... Perception is basically useless in my play style...

High max hp is worthless so Endurance is not important. I say max hp is worthless because A) stimpacks are plentiful (the average person will have 200ish extra by the end) and B) 1hp or 100 hp makes no difference to combat effectiveness.

I dunno... Stimpaks aren't that plentiful, and are expensive if you buy them early on... I just like being able to take an extra hit or two in battle with a Death Claw or something, and I never raise this skill after the initial setup anyways...

Intelligence affects skill points per level so you want that to be high and you want it to be high at the start. In my starting build with less agility I would start with 9 intelligence.

This is why I raise it some... but I don't worry with going too high...

Overall your build is effective SLJ but not very optimized.

It is most certainly optimized to my style... and highly effective for anyone to use... I rarely have to use stimpaks, I carry a bunch of stuff I can make good money on, and can have my house setup and completely stocked by level 6 or 7...

I sell things like Fission Batteries, Big Guns, etc, and collect things like Pre-War books, Scrap Metal, etc. for quests... These are not weightless... Plus, I don't worry with Power Armor until towards the end anyways...

Those things are to heavy for the price they bring, but if you want to pack mule back to town then it works out.

It is most certainly optimized to my style... and highly effective for anyone to use... I rarely have to use stimpaks, I carry a bunch of stuff I can make good money on, and can have my house setup and completely stocked by level 6 or 7...

For your play style perhaps but not from a power gaming standpoint. I'm not insinuating anything is wrong with your build (quite the opposite it is a good build) just that it isn't the most effective way to stomp the poo out of the game. Nothing wrong with that. Hell when I play this game now I try to be a super strong, agile, and enduring moron named Conan who only uses a power fist.

tbh everyone in this thread is over thinking the game. i didnt need any special build i just picked random poo and still destroyed the game. to OP make sure when ur still in the vault you pick up the 10 pack of stimpax on the table (i think thats where it is not sure though) , it will be very useful.

edit: which is why fallout 3 isnt as good as the other ones. in fallout new vegas you will need a specific build. also in fallout 3 I hated it that the choices you make and the karma didnt really effect the game as much as you would expect, but in FONV that will be the main point of the game.

tbh everyone in this thread is over thinking the game. i didnt need any special build i just picked random poo and still destroyed the game. to OP make sure when ur still in the vault you pick up the 10 pack of stimpax on the table (i think thats where it is not sure though) , it will be very useful.

edit: which is why fallout 3 isnt as good as the other ones. in fallout new vegas you will need a specific build. also in fallout 3 I hated it that the choices you make and the karma didnt really effect the game as much as you would expect, but in FONV that will be the main point of the game.

Yes you can literally pick anything or nothing and the game is still easy at least to me. This guy wanted help though and since he didn't figure out that he could pass time using the wait command I assumed he needed more pointers than pick up the ten pack of stim packs.

FONV looks awesome.

Archived