• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do I handle this?

pstall

About two years ago I provided a detailed idea to the bank where I work. My idea ended up saving them about 200-400k a year. I got a decent cash reward and a promotion.

Well, the last year or so I sat in meetings with a former boss. They asked for my input and I gave them tons.

Now almost all of the ideas I suggested they are using, even nationwide and I'm not getting squat.

I want to be a team player and not appear to gripe but man, these are some huge changes that impacts thousands of people, for the better, saves time and money and really I'm getting nothing. Not even a hey pstall came up with this in an email.

Any ideas?

As your job status and pay goes up, so does expectation that you'll just do these things on a regular basis.

I would probably let it go.

Qft, my thoughts exaclty.

My great grandfather, while he was working for GM in the 50s, noticed that all the models from all the different divisions had body dimensions that were within a few inches of each other, and yet GM was basically making a different frame for every model car they had. He presented these findings, along with a suggestion that GM have two or three standard frames, and then build different bodies on top of them, to an executive at GM who at the time was in GM's dog house, named Harley Earl. The findings saved GM hundreds of millions of dollars and totally reshaped the automotive industry.

Today, Harley Earl is seen as the genius who came up with uniform body types.

What you got, ain't new.

That right thar is wisdom.

heed it.

But this was not so much meetings that it was required to give ideas. They were in brainstorm mode to make things better.

They asked, I told them.

It's a catch 22. Give bad ideas, no longer asked and when you offer the trust level is down.

Only thing I can do is keep a tally of those ideas and promote that and highlight it when I move along/up.

This is why I want to start a spin off comp and just supply solutions/ideas/innovation and get paid mucho dinero.

I want to do the same thing. I tell my wife all the time that I want to be a "professional idea man."

I do have plenty of original ideas, but more often than not I have ideas on how to make existing products or services better.

I feel you pain. I spent Thursday night eating dinner with two Fortune 100 CEOs and two state legislators and had my idea hijacked by my boss. The problem on my end is that he convinces himself that my ideas are actually his own. He honestly believes that they are his ideas. I just sit back and make sure I remind him about all those things during my semi-annual reviews.

That's just how the corporate world seems to work. The same way that you can spend 4 years of your life doing grad research, but then the professor gets all of the credit and your name is nowhere to be found on the paper.

I agree with Jase...and think...if it's better for your bank...it's better for you and your colleagues too! That...or buy your own bank and put all your ideas into place there instead!!!!

Archived