• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New world #1 badass

Happy Panther

A British army sniper helped save his commander and set a new sharpshooting record after killing two Taliban machine gunners in Afghanistan from a mile-and-a-half away.

Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison fired his consecutive shots from such a long distance that they took almost three seconds to reach their targets.

This was despite the 8.59mm bullets leaving the barrel of his rifle at almost three times the speed of sound.

The distance to his two targets was 8,120ft, or 1.54 miles - according to a GPS system - and about 3,000ft beyond the weapon's effective range.

The 35-year-old beat the previous sniper kill record of 7,972ft, set by a Canadian soldier who shot dead an al Qaeda gunman in March 2002.

Speaking about the incident, Cpl of Horse Harrison said: "The first round hit a machine gunner in the stomach and killed him outright. He went straight down and didn't move.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too. They were both dead."

The serviceman then fired a third and final round to ensure the machine gun was out of action.

He said: "Conditions were perfect, no wind, mild weather, clear visibility. I rested the bipod of my weapon on a compound wall and aimed for the gunner firing the machine gun."

He killed the two insurgents as he protected his troop commander, whose vehicle became trapped in a field in Helmand Province and started coming under fire.

Cpl of Horse Harrison, from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, was using the British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle, the army's most powerful sniper weapon.

It is only designed to be effective at up to 4,921ft - just less than a mile - and capable of only 'harassing fire' beyond that range.

To compensate for the spin and drift of the bullets as they flew the length of 25 football pitches, Cpl of Horse Harrison reportedly had to aim 6ft high and 20ins to the left.

In a remarkable tour of duty, he cheated death a few weeks later when a Taliban bullet pierced his helmet but was deflected away from his skull.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Afghanistan-Sniper-Corporal-Of-Horse-Craig-Harrison-Sets-Record-After-Killing-Taliban/Article/201005115624184?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15624184_Afghanistan%3A_Sniper_Corporal_Of_Horse_Craig_Harrison_Sets_Record_After_Killing_Taliban

Another person way cooler than me.

I did some super awesome spreadshseet stuff today

Tell him Kurb. When the dude snipes a guy on the other side of the map, pulls out his 1911 pistol and blasts a dude in the face before jumping off a building and deploying his parachute for a soft landing (all within 2-3 seconds)...then he can get back to me.

Until then...PFFFFFT.

Snipers are poo hot!

If you want to read a good book, then read, "One shot, One kill: The Carlos Hathcock Story!"

Not even the Mythbusters were able to recreate Carlos' shot through the scope of an enemy sniper!

"One shot, one Kill" is their moto. I always thought it should be, "When you want to reach out and kill someone!"

I hope they award him the Victoria Cross for that!

Sweet. I saw an interview with the Canadian sniper who held the previous mark, and even he said that at ranges like that, even with all your training, you're really just trying to place the round within 3 feet of the target and a direct hit is pretty much luck in anything but perfect conditions. Any little gust or even difference in atmospheric pressure will send that bullet way off mark.

Doing it twice is damn impressive though.

Archived