• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Standardized English...

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Since there are an inordinate ammount of grammer nazis around these parts, I was just curious to see some opinions on whether or not there truly is such a thing as standardized english. Keep in mind, this is a debate that dates back to the tenth century and continues to rage on today in linguistic circles.

And both sides of the debate are right to a certain extent, btw.

Business-speak often comes up as proof that standardization is necessary in modern context. Allow me to dispell that myth.

In many written contracts, there is often a parenthetical statement that percludes that and entity "X" will be referred to as the substitution "Y". However, a parenthetical statement can only be used to expand upon a given verb-subject relationship in one sentance of the contract only, not as an introduction of a place holder "Y" for "X". In short, it is convention and not standardization that cuts down on a lot of paperwork, but there is no rule that makes this possible.

Personally, I don't know when that convention came into play.

Since there is an inordinate amount of grammar Nazis around these parts, I was just curious to see some opinions on whether or not there truly is such a thing as standardized English. Keep in mind, this is a debate that dates back to the tenth century and continues to rage on today in linguistic circles.

And both sides of the debate are right to a certain extent, btw.

fixed

Archived