• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help with a garden issue.

thefuzz

Mine is going gangbusters already....especially the herbs.

What do you guys do with the herbs when you pick them if you can't use them right away?

Zipliock in the fridge?

Dry them to use later?

Give them away?

Already have plenty of cilantro and basil, and don't really know how to preserve it. Sooo some of you green thumbs help me out.

Mine is going gangbusters already....especially the herbs.

What do you guys do with the herbs when you pick them if you can't use them right away?

Zipliock in the fridge?

Dry them to use later?

Give them away?

Already have plenty of cilantro and basil, and don't really know how to preserve it. Sooo some of you green thumbs help me out.

Sell the extra to Crispybangs.

if you're gonna use em in the next week put them in a glass in some water in the fridge (like flowers) they keep alot longer this way.

if you wanna store long term you can freeze them whole (better than drying.) Or throw some in a bottle of olive oil and let it marinate for a few months. or with basil you can just make a huge amount of pesto sauce.

I've never planted herbs, might give them a try next year. Do you have to do anything different for herbs compared to vegetables?

This year I have:

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Snap Peas

Red, Yellow, Green peppers

Watermelon

Cantelope

Hot Bananna Peppers (first time growing them)

Sweet Bananna Peppers (First time growing them)

Very pleased with how they are growing so far. I did turn on the soaker hose last night and forgot to turn it off. Hope it didn't drown them.

Herbs are the easiest thing to grow. PLanted ours a few years ago and they keep coming back every year. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley.

Also, can grow them in part shade just fine.

We have a ton of lettuce so far. Did romaine, red, and spinach. Can make a salad a day for free.

I've never planted herbs, might give them a try next year. Do you have to do anything different for herbs compared to vegetables?

This year I have:

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Snap Peas

Watermelon

Cantelope

Very pleased with how they are growing so far. I did turn on the soaker hose last night and forgot to turn it off. Hope it didn't drown them.

Nah, herbs are pretty easy for the most part, and seem to grow like crazy in this climate...the biggest problem is what to do with all of it...hence the post.

I am doing:

Squash

Cukes

Maters

Zukes

romaine lettuce

and Strawberries.

Herbs:

garlic

cilantro

basil

and rosemary

should keep me busy this summer...

Any more suggestions would be welcomed, and thanks for the ones above.

I did lettuce last year and decided not to do it this year. When I went to wash the first couple of heads off I found slugs and just couldn't get that out of my head.

I even did the ol' beer in a shallow dish at the corner of the garden thing. That works but you have to change out the beer every few days and it hurt my feelings to waste beer like that.

This year I have:

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Snap Peas

Watermelon

Cantelope

No PUMPKIN! Oh the shame, the shame.

Archived