• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith interviewed about the Draft on WFNZ today.

Cyclonus

I'm not getting into the Jake Delhomme debate again, but since the other guy couldn't answer this question, why don't you explain to me which of these great 1st round QB's we missed out on that could have been taken in the spots where guys like Beason, Williams, Otah, and Stewart were taken in recent years.

I get what you're saying. I'll add that we actually tried with David Carr who turned out horribly. The only place I could see and which alot of other people complain about is Flacco with the Stewart pick. I know some people will throw out Cassel, Favre, Brees or w/e. But for me, it's not about the QBs we didn't pick up, but rather the QB we didn't let go. Delhomme has had a unwarranted hold on the QB job for the longest without any competition. Like Smith said, this the 1st time we've had QB competition in a long time and it's about time. So it doesn't matter who we picked up, Fox wouldn't give them a chance anyway.

I just wanted to add some Delhomme/Fox hate though. :D

Holy poo there is some serious stupidity running amok in here.

First off, Moore will get just as fair of a shot at the starting QB job as anyone else. Hurney and Fox did not set out in any way to draft a QB with the 48th pick. If McCoy or The Golden Calf of Bristol would have been there and not Clausen someone else would have been selected. Clausen presented WAY too much value to pass up. Pike in the 6th was the same scenario. Why draft a DT you have rated at a 60 when you can draft a qb you have rated with an 80? Especially when that QB is a compensatory pick.

Some of you people are just idiots. I REALLY wanted to find a way to sugar coat that but couldn't. Fox stuck with Delhomme for many reasons last year, one of which was loyalty but he also believed that Jake gave us the best shot to win. No one knows how Moore looked in practice everyday. We all do know that he looked like poo in pre-season. If that was the last I really knew of a kid in game situation and he wasn't practicing hard, I wouldn't want to start him either.

FTR, who really gives a poo if Moore isn't given a fair shot? If Clausen can come in and play great then I don't care if we ever find out how mediocre Moore could have been. If Moore is so great and he isn't given a fair shot then he will latch on and flourish elsewhere. So fug it.

I think you are missing the point House. You are assuming Jimmy comes in and plays great. The point is what if Jimmy is handed the job without competition and doesn't play well. No chance in hell pulls him, admits another mistake, and puts Moore back in. If Clausen is the guy from day 1, then he is the guy, no ifs ands or buts.

People want a fair shake to see really who is the best QB and not fall in love with some kid who was fed with a silver spoon his whole life then handed the keys to an NFL franchise just because. We know Moore is a winner. We know nothing about Clausen besides the fact he went to ND and has had some PR issues. When you compare the tools of the two, its probably close. If you compare intangibles Moore has him by a longshot.

People won't be upset if Clausen wins the job outright but they are worried that Clausen will be handed the job because he is one of Fox's guys.

My opinion? Clausen will be handed the job at the first opportunity, whether it be a loss or a 2-INT game and Moore will be elsewhere next year, where he leads his new team deep into the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong and he leads this team deep into the playoffs but I don't have a good feeling.

I think you are missing the point House. You are assuming Jimmy comes in and plays great. The point is what if Jimmy is handed the job without competition and doesn't play well. No chance in hell pulls him, admits another mistake, and puts Moore back in. If Clausen is the guy from day 1, then he is the guy, no ifs ands or buts.

People want a fair shake to see really who is the best QB and not fall in love with some kid who was fed with a silver spoon his whole life then handed the keys to an NFL franchise just because. We know Moore is a winner. We know nothing about Clausen besides the fact he went to ND and has had some PR issues. When you compare the tools of the two, its probably close. If you compare intangibles Moore has him by a longshot.

People won't be upset if Clausen wins the job outright but they are worried that Clausen will be handed the job because he is one of Fox's guys.

My opinion? Clausen will be handed the job at the first opportunity, whether it be a loss or a 2-INT game and Moore will be elsewhere next year, where he leads his new team deep into the playoffs. I hope I'm wrong and he leads this team deep into the playoffs but I don't have a good feeling.

Oh, my-

Holy-

I'm sorry but is this a real comment? Who's fuging with me here? Panthro? Fiz? Zod?

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about when I talk about ignorance. I am not saying that you are ignorant but this post reeks of it. Don't take that confrontationaly, I just don't know how else to put it, I am an asshole.

Please elaborate...I don't think I made one "ignorant" statement unless you think my opinion in the last line is ignorant. I didn't make any other outrageous claims. It's not just Fox who is loyal to their guys. When your job in any profession is on the line (not saying this year specifically but at any time) you want to go in with guys you feel comfortable with and are your guys.

All I said was that IF Jimmy is Fox's guy for some other reason than performance then there is no turning back to Moore. IF there is not a competition the team will suffer.

Please elaborate if you feel I missed something and you took my post another way. Hell, PM me if you want I'd love to finish this convo

Oh, my-

Holy-

I'm sorry but is this a real comment? Who's f**king with me here? Panthro? Fiz? Zod?

lol. Fishing for support, eh?

yeah it was obvious, i have never seen anyone play that bad on any level before that night.

And thus you concluded that he would never play well again.

Could you give me the lottery numbers for next week, please?

This.

If Fox "likes" Clausen, he'll start, even if Moore is the better player.

Can't assume that Moore is the better player. In fact, from many accounts, Clausen may be the better player, but just lascks NFL experience.

What if it's close? What if Clausen actually does prove to be the better player in TC and PS? I predict that the Huddle is going to part like God parted the Red Sea.

Regarding "Moore isn't a Fox Guy"

To be honest, I had heard rumors that he wasn't, but there was nothing substantial to back it up...

....until this draft...

Unless you don't like something about him, you don't draft three QBs when your starter is only a 3 year veteran.

And based on his performance last year (as even Steve Smith pointed out), that "something" certainly wasn't his ability to play the position.

So what does that leave us?

Your post is filled with Bull Crap . .. 1st sentence you "heard rumors" and then you presume to take this draft as proof. LOL

1st off when a top 15 Quarterback pick (Some had him as #1 Quarterback )falls to you at 48th in a draft where finding quarterback is 1 of your most important goals . . . you take him. Especially when he spent 3 years of college being trained by the originator of the offense you run!

Enough of that.

Then Armanti Edwards was picked . . . . he will be on special teams this year, maybe a Wildcat play or two as well, in the slot if he shows he can catch the ball. No Competition for Moore . . . . more of an asset for the Offense in general.

Anybody see any "Proof" yet?

Pike? By the time you get to Pike "Proof" is already gone. After Pike was picked I figured the were loading up on quality quarterback talent in this front loaded draft (Due to Collective Bargaining Agreement coming up). They can coach them up together.

Then next year when we have one of the weaker drafts in years they will have 1 or 2 quality Quarterbacks they can trade if they see the need. None of that is a slight against Matt Moore or his chances of starting for the Panthers. If he continues to produce I think he'll play.

Bottom Line they loaded the program with Quality Quarterback Talent on the CHEAP in later rounds in the best draft to ever make that kind of move! They fell to later rounds than normal due to 30 or 40 Underclassmen declaring for the draft early due to the CBA scaring them that they might not have a draft, or have lower pay scale or a not have season next year or other negative possibilities. They were able to pick up quality talent and should hold it on our team for cheap. And we got the most important position on the field, Quarterback!

Major Props to our Front Office for a Major Victory when I thought none was going to be possible

BRILLIANT !

Have a Guinness .

Archived