• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith interviewed about the Draft on WFNZ today.

Cyclonus

Dang good point! After Jake's melt down against the Cardinals eveyone considered QB a draft need for the Panthers. yet the Panthers did nothing to get another QB in the draft or Free Agency. I think part of the reason was they didn't want too seem they were pushing Jake out the door or putting any pressure on him. Now not only to they draft two QB's but start talking about a QB competition.

because fox/hurney viewed jake as a franchise qb when he was just above average at best

I still want to know exactly where this "Moore isn't a Fox guy" came from. And I'm talking about the original source, not a second hand opinion from somebody who, supposedly, knows somebody else who, supposedly, has "inside information". I sure as hell have never heard John Fox utter any such proclamation.

To be honest, I had heard rumors that he wasn't, but there was nothing substantial to back it up...

....until this draft...

Unless you don't like something about him, you don't draft three QBs when your starter is only a 3 year veteran.

And based on his performance last year (as even Steve Smith pointed out), that "something" certainly wasn't his ability to play the position.

So what does that leave us?

To be honest, I had heard rumors that he wasn't, but there was nothing substantial to back it up...

....until this draft...

Unless you don't like something about him, you don't draft three QBs when your starter is only a 3 year veteran.

And based on his performance last year (as even Steve Smith pointed out), that "something" certainly wasn't his ability to play the position.

So what does that leave us?

You do when a QB you had as a high 1st round grade on your board falls to you in the middle of the 2nd round and you need competition and depth at the position. In fact, it's a no brainer, regardless of how you feel about Matt Moore. It's the same thing with Pike, they had him graded out way higher than where they drafted him. Armanti Edwards was not drafted to play QB, so I don't know where you get the number 3 from.

You do when a QB you had as a high 1st round grade on your board falls to you in the middle of the 2nd round and you need competition and depth at the position. In fact, it's a no brainer, regardless of how you feel about Matt Moore.

and have't we did this before(dehlomme), don't we need to be as sure as possible before we commit franchise treatment/money on any qb or else we might end up bak where we were

and have't we did this before(dehlomme), don't we need to be as sure as possible before we commit franchise treatment/money on any qb or else we might end up bak where we were

Yeah, ironically, Matt Moore was the only decent competition that Delhomme ever had and he was an UFA.

Honestly though, why is it so hard for some people to believe that they took the highest ranked player on their board with the Clausen and Pike picks? It was also a poition of need, whether for competition or depth. If Matt Moore can't handle the competition, then we don't need him here anyway. FTR, I believe he can handle the compeition and I believe he will be the starter when week 1 rolls around.

You do when a QB you had as a high 1st round grade on your board falls to you in the middle of the 2nd round and you need competition and depth at the position. In fact, it's a no brainer, regardless of how you feel about Matt Moore. It's the same thing with Pike, they had him graded out way higher than where they drafted him. Armanti Edwards was not drafted to play QB, so I don't know where you get the number 3 from.

Ok, then why didn't we draft any QBs from 2006 to 2009?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Panthers_draft_history

You mean to tell me they didn't have ANY first round QBs to choose from?

Riiiight....

In fact, since Delhomme took us to the Superbowl, until this year, we have only drafted ONE.... count it... ONE QB.

Obviously this is because Delhomme is that much better than Moore?

Riiiiight...

P.S. Armanti Edwards will be a WR/QB. I fully expect him to line up in a WC, and play the part of a WR (blocking).... but then I can see him to be thrown a reverse and chunk it downfield.

yes clausen fell in our laps,but fox does not like moore for some reason. smitty even said we now have a real open qb competition which we havent had since fox got here. moore should start but if JIMMY play decent fox will yank matt faster than you can count to 6.

Riiiight....

In fact, since Delhomme took us to the Superbowl, until this year, we have only drafted ONE.... count it... ONE QB.

Riiiiight...

b/c they viewed dehlomme as their franshise qb, my only concern is that we don't make the same mistake twice

finally got to listen to it.....to me, Smitty's take is Fox is done in Carolina. I mean, if he had confidence Fox would remain in Carolina it makes no sense that he would say he has an opinion but didn't want to share it.

Please, this is just old. I hope you weren't trying to get a laugh outta that.

No, I was going to say "maybe he's a scared little bitch and was afraid to talk to Smith on the phone" but I thought I would say something a little nicer. And yes, that's what I really wanted to say, even though I like Clausen. It struck me as very weak that he would text instead of calling. It's not a big deal, just odd.

I still want to know exactly where this "Moore isn't a Fox guy" came from. And I'm talking about the original source, not a second hand opinion from somebody who, supposedly, knows somebody else who, supposedly, has "inside information". I sure as hell have never heard John Fox utter any such proclamation.

There is nothing to back it up. People latch onto this theory to back their dislike of Fox.

Anyone watch the third season of Friday Night Lights? ...Just Sayin'

Lol, I thought the same thing. It's almost the exact same situation...but this is real life. A decent, likable QB that a lot of people want to see succeed has a young hot shot QB (that has been groomed his entire life to be the next big thing at QB, who also happens to come from a wealthy family) come in as his backup, while everyone knows it's just a matter of time until that hotshot gets the bump.

Riiiight....

Riiiiight...

P.S. Armanti Edwards will be a WR/QB. I fully expect him to line up in a WC, and play the part of a WR (blocking).... but then I can see him to be thrown a reverse and chunk it downfield.

WTH does that have to do with 2010? Every year is different, every draft is different.

And if Armanti lines up in the WC, that does not mean he was drafted to be a QB...it just means he's a threat to run or throw a pass 2-3 times a game. There is a huge difference. Do you also think DeAngelo Williams was drafted to play QB because he ran the WC a few times?

Archived