• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith interviewed about the Draft on WFNZ today.

Cyclonus

Yeah thought it sounded like he suspects Fox won't be back.

Surprised that Clausen already called/texted him and isn't intimidated by him. Sounds like there is some serious mutual respect/man love between Smitty and Clausen.

I just don't think Matt is gonna get a fair shot at the job.

This year I really think that it will be an open competition at QB, like Steve said there really hasn’t been one in a long time. This will only make Matt better or we find out now if he has the mental strength and skill to be our starting QB.

Surprised that Clausen already called/texted him and isn't intimidated by him. Sounds like their is some serious mutual respect/man love between Smitty and Clausen.

I don't either. I think Fox is butthurt by Moore stepping up and showing JR that Delhomme was done.

Honestly, I don't think Smitty cared much for Matt watching how he interacted with him during games when he first started playing last year. He seemed to tolerate him the later in the season it got, after we had won a few games.

Despite that, they still seemed to play well together... Was just the feeling that I got, but Smitty could've just been pissed about the way the whole year had went.

You guys missed one big point... Smitty said that Clausen was a "Catch 22", because Moore earned the starting spot.

He didn't say Clausen was the 'catch 22.'

But the overall gist of what he said (that I got), was pretty much the same thing I've been saying since the draft - You've got to be excited about this season, b/c there is an open competition at QB and it won't just be based off past merits or "coach's pet" criteria.

But the overall gist of what he said (that I got), was pretty much the same thing I've been saying since the draft - You've got to be excited about this season, b/c there is an open competition at QB and it won't just be based off past merits or "coach's pet" criteria.

He literally used the phrase "catch 22", you know.

Surprised that Clausen already called/texted him and isn't intimidated by him. Sounds like there is some serious mutual respect/man love between Smitty and Clausen.

Clausen said during his interview after being drafted (like, right after he got drafted) that he was trying to get Smith's number so he could call him (instead he just texted him - scared of getting punched manybe?).

Yeah, Smitty definitely sounds like he loves Clausen's attitude and confidence (or cockiness). He was basically gushing about that part.

But, if Clausen is an ass, I can see how he and Smitty are already bonding so quick lol. Like I said, Smitty is my favorite player but he's had his share of problems too... Doesn't bother me as long as we win and they give it their all when they're out there.

I like that he likes the Gettis kid too...

I think Smith was more or less responding that way because some people feel he is cocky and overconfident as well. I doubt it had much to do with Clausen.

Basically, I think Smith is excited about the QB stuff, but I don't think he really minds who is throwing him the football as long as the guy doing it is good. I don't think he is all of a sudden in love with Clausen. In fact, he probably thought it was a little juvenile (not in a bad way) for Clausen to call him, even though I'm sure it flattered him in some way or form.

Yes, he did:

Saturday I got a text from Jimmy Clausen, uh, he was introducing himself, umm, I spoke to him on the phone, so that was good. I mean, umm, its kinda li... I think its a catch 22... because uh obviously Matt Moore was given the starting job because he earned it because of the way he played last year, and then they draft a guy. And not only do they draft a guy that's pretty.... by some people's accounts... maybe give him some competition... they draft another guy.

ITS refers to Clausen being drafted.

Yes, he did:

ITS refers to Clausen being drafted.

Yep.

Also, when he said "pretty" he actually uttered "good" right before he said "by some people's accounts." At least, thats the way I remember it because at first I thought he was going to go homo and talk about Jimmy's obvious good looks.

Smitty is always a good radio interview. He's very comfortable with the local guys and he always makes them (and me) laugh.

FTR, I'm not at all convinced that Matt Moore won't get a fair shot. It's not like Clausen was drafted in the top 5 and is coming here to be our savior or anything. He's coming to a pretty solid team that had very good QB play in the last 4 games. People keep saying that Matt Moore was basically doing mop up duty, but he tore the Vikings a new one when they were still playing for home field advantage in the play offs, which would have helped them tremendously if they had gotten it.

Archived