• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clausen disscusion here

Fiz

alright here are all the options

1. he's as good as advertised, there are no red flags, and it was just a combination of bad drafting and luck that landed him in carolina

2. he's not as good as advertised

3. he's as good as advertised, but there was something that made him drop which A. the panthers don't know about or B. they do and don't think is a serious concern

they've rolled the dice on health issues before and won and lost (stewart, nelson respectively) so gah

the decision and consequences are greatly amplified due to the position, and this is a much bigger gamble than selecting a center or a runningback.

It's #3.

I wonder if it's the attitude problems - he's come across as a cocky little poo (but then all the great ones do), but it's something he's tempered/matured out of. Or if it's the questions about his deep ball - there isn't a question in my mind, he was playing on an injured toe last year so couldn't step into his throws.

I was reading on SI that they rated Tate higher than Clausen. In fact many people argue that he had a great supporting cast - Tate/Floyd/Rudolph. I'm more in the camp that he made them look that good, ala Manning and whatever scrub WR he throws to this week (Wayne and Clark aside).

Still time will tell.

I actually like Jimmy a lot! and think he was the most pro ready QB. HOWEVER, I don't like him more than I like Matt Moore! whom I think will be top 10 to 13 QB in the NFL this year provided the LSU kid pans out and gives him another weapon. So Taking Jimmy was something I wouldn't have done. I would have taken Tate with that pick and got a guy like Pike later. You still add a QB as a back up and someone to push Moore down the line if Moore Struggles. (just by adding Pike) People need to also be aware I don't see Jimmy in camp day 1 either. Since his projection was so high any agent worth anything will try and get a deal closer to top 20 QB deal than that of a Mid 2nd round QB deal. I wouldn't give him a red cent! of that money...(not because I don't think he can play but that's how I believe you deal with signing rookies you give! them the market! money for their draft position. If you budge! you will be budging. on every single pick from that point on out.

Something that should have been considered prior to picking Jimmy especially since all reports claim he's a "pre-Madonna" "entitlement" kind of guy. Which honestly I will say I don't care about my QB or any player being arrogant..that doesn't bother me but as far as "Sign-ability" to a guy that I drafted whom droped 30 plus spots is something to think about.

attitude is a big deal, but people on this forum seem to think that even if you tie your shoes the wrong way, you're not a good fit for the team..

I've never met the guy as I am sure many here haven't either but it's hilarious that people confuse attitude for moxie and it's all bc of The Golden Calf of Bristol. I like a guy who is confident and will get after it with people. I was watching the ND/stanford game early this morning and he was talking crap to the Stanford bench. Kinda reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from the super bowl after Jake made that throw to moose and he started talkin to one of the patriots players.

The reason I bring up The Golden Calf of Bristol is that he is about as nice as it comes and I really think that can be a bad thing at the QB position. Tom Brady told the pats that it was the best decision ever to draft him, Peyton manning told the colts that be would whoop their buts for the next 15 years if they didn't pick him. What did The Golden Calf of Bristol say??? "I will tell them that I'm ready to work hard and take on the challenge in front of me."

The point is that there is a difference between a QB havin confidence and moxie (manning, Brady) and a QB having an attitude (Ryan leaf). I think clausen will be fine and may the best man win.

alright here are all the options

1. he's as good as advertised, there are no red flags, and it was just a combination of bad drafting and luck that landed him in carolina

2. he's not as good as advertised

3. he's as good as advertised, but there was something that made him drop which A. the panthers don't know about or B. they do and don't think is a serious concern

they've rolled the dice on health issues before and won and lost (stewart, nelson respectively) so gah

the decision and consequences are greatly amplified due to the position, and this is a much bigger gamble than selecting a center or a runningback.

I think him falling to the Panthers was a combination of his toe Injury, the interview with Gruden, the perception people have of him, and luck.

well most of it is just trolling the poo out of this thread.

For crying out loud, Tom Brady dropped to the 6th round, but there's about 28 teams that would love to have him right now. There are HOFers that weren't even drafted or were drafted in the 14th round back in the day.

Clausen played in an NFL offense in college and made every throw in the book, as well as calling his own audibles in college, unlike most of these spread QB's. He is light years ahead of every other QB in this draft when it comes to the learning curve, so there is no reason to believe he will fail, unless he just turns out to be a grade A asshole who refuses to work at his craft. Hell, even if he is an asshole, I don't care as long as he puts in the work and gets the job done.

Worse case scenerio...he becomes a good back up.

Fiz caught one...

Clausen slid to the second in one of those first day slides that always seems to happen, no one would have been surprised to see him anywhere in the top ten. But they didn't, he slid to the second. What's surprising is that he made it to the middle of the second, and that puts so much smoke out you just know there's a fire somewhere.

Before the draft, Clausen got some really negative rumors spread around about his lack of leadership and abrasive personality. I'm sure that didn't help as far as round one is concerned. After that, it was a perfect storm:

• St. Louis already got Bradford, and they weren't about to take another QB.
  • Minnesota desperately needed a cornerback, and think Favre is good for two more years
  • Tampa Bay has their franchise QB (*snort*)
  • Kansas City has more needs than there are positions, and they just sunk a lot of money into Cassell
  • Philadelphia isn't ready for another QB controversy
  • Holmgren just got rid of a Notre Dame QB, and isn't interested in the next one.
  • Tampa Bay again....
  • Miami has their QB position well set.
  • Buffalo is a big freaking mystery. They should have jumped at the chance, but didn't. And that's why they're the Bills.
  • New England doesn't need another QB for years
  • Baltimore has Flacco
  • Oakland has a bazillion dollars sunk into the QB position already, and Davis is probably shy about taking another "can't miss" prospect there.
  • Denver got a QB in round one
  • NYG has Eli
  • and Arizona, who I thought would take Clausen, apparently decided that fixing their defense took priority.

A perfect storm of other needs and poor judgement was needed to get Clausen in Carolina, and we got one.

So does he have character issues? Go find out. Give me something concrete. Otherwise, laugh about it and wait for training camp. I'm really looking forward to it this year. :)

I've never met the guy as I am sure many here haven't either but it's hilarious that people confuse attitude for moxie and it's all bc of The Golden Calf of Bristol. I like a guy who is confident and will get after it with people. I was watching the ND/stanford game early this morning and he was talking crap to the Stanford bench. Kinda reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from the super bowl after Jake made that throw to moose and he started talkin to one of the patriots players.

The reason I bring up The Golden Calf of Bristol is that he is about as nice as it comes and I really think that can be a bad thing at the QB position. Tom Brady told the pats that it was the best decision ever to draft him, Peyton manning told the colts that be would whoop their buts for the next 15 years if they didn't pick him. What did The Golden Calf of Bristol say??? "I will tell them that I'm ready to work hard and take on the challenge in front of me."

The point is that there is a difference between a QB havin confidence and moxie (manning, Brady) and a QB having an attitude (Ryan leaf). I think clausen will be fine and may the best man win.

I want to punch The Golden Calf of Bristol in the face. There's just something about his look, his attitude, the things he says that REALLY grates me. I'd HATE to have him as our QB of the future.

As far as understanding the playbook/audibles/defenses Clausen had to be the best QB in the draft. He's the only one that actually had to do any of those things. Bradford might be the most accurate and have the cleanest reputation but he had every single play called for him in college. Clausen is also going to have the added benefit of sitting for a while too.

Does he have to grow up a little bit? Yeah...but I remember some players on the Chargers, Giants, and Steelers all hating their young QBs. TO the extent that Alan Faneca actually said that he didn't want to block for Ben and that he hated the idea of him starting over Maddox. Now there are 3 SBs between those three and the guy without the SB has been arguably the 2nd or 3rd best statistical QB in the league the last 2 years.

I think it's a combo of the toe and attitude that caused him to fall. Anderson told us that there wouldn't be a problem with Stewart's toe, and I'm sure he at least weighed in on Clausen's toe as well before we picked him.

Intangibles are a much bigger deal with a QB than any other position. People were worried about Bryant being an immature moron, but he went in the first. But he's also a receiver, and not a quarterback.

I think it's a combo of the toe and attitude that caused him to fall. Anderson told us that there wouldn't be a problem with Stewart's toe, and I'm sure he at least weighed in on Clausen's toe as well before we picked him.

Intangibles are a much bigger deal with a QB than any other position. People were worried about Bryant being an immature moron, but he went in the first. But he's also a receiver, and not a quarterback.

one thing that I hope is true/transitions comes from walterfootball.com report..

Summary: Jimmy Clausen is a franchise quarterback. He has carried the spotlight since he was a teenager and has surpassed the hype. He has an outstanding skill set with the elite intangibles you see in the great quarterbacks. Clausen isn't fazed by tense situations and has great leadership when the game is on the line. He puts in the hours to be a great quarterback and you see it on tape. Clausen will likely be the first quarterback drafted and is a projected top-five draft pick.

Player Comparison: Kurt Warner. Warner and Clausen both exhibit the same three-quarter release, they get the ball out quickly, and are extremely decisive/intelligent quarterbacks. Clausen has a stronger arm.

I also read somewhere that in middle school he was called the "LeBron James of football," as early as his freshmen year in high school."

now, I wouldn't go that far.. but him having to live up to expectations and not totally bust under pressure has to be a positive...

one thing that I hope is true/transitions comes from walterfootball.com report..

I also read somewhere that in middle school he was called the "LeBron James of football," as early as his freshmen year in high school."

now, I wouldn't go that far.. but him having to live up to expectations and not totally bust under pressure has to be a positive...

Yeah I read that as well

Archived