• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clausen disscusion here

Fiz

31 other teams had a chance at this supposed "franchise QB" (some had 2 or more shots), some with much worse QB situations than us, and passed. Clausen was bailed out all year long by Tate taking the ball away from defenders, through double teams and turning dump offs into huge gains. All of this against that weak ass schedule ND plays. Way too many holes on this team to use our first pick on a guy that apparently has some serious enough issues to free fall from his media hyped top 10 spot to the middle of the 2nd round.

Who cares why someone else didn't take him? Mostof the first round teams didn't need a QB and most of the teams that did have a QB need also still have egg on their face and heavy financial losses on QB's they had drafted in previous first rounds that didn't work out. GM'shave to worry about their jobs too and if I was the guy who pulled the trigger on Jamarcus Russell, it'd be ahelluva long time before I drafted a QB in the first round no matter how good he was. Those are real career risks for a GM to consider.

Just watch the kid play. Why not? Why judge him by what other teams choose to do or not do when their is actual tape of his play. Golden Tate didn't bail him out. That's silly if you watch the tapes. Clausen consistently put the ball in spots where only tate or Floyd could get to it. When he threw INTs (not many) there was usually three fatass OL's laying on the ground like a sack of dog food while their block was chasing Clausen down.

And if you do watch the tapes, and you know anything about football, you'll see that he put up those huge numbers behind one of the most consistently inept offensive lines in the history of college football. They gave new meaning to the word suck.

Playing well behind the offensive lines he had at ND was like trying to do heart surgery on a rollercoaster....but you know what? That'll make him a better QB in the NFL. Someof these other rookie QB's will take one look at Ray Lewis on the blitz and crap their pants. Clausen's been there, done that and fought through it.

Clausen has the goods if you know what you're looking at. He may not have the ALL American boy qualities like Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol and McCoy, but in a head to head competition with equal players in front of them, Clausen will deliver the mail.

Then we'll trade Jimmy or let him be the backup... if Matt Moore plays great than it's a win-win...

Also, regarding Clausens attitude.. I love it. I love competitiveness and a cocky attitude. Reminds me of Philip Rivers.

And what is that then?

A WASTE OF PICK

When we had Tate right there who has explosive ability and can be a great pick up vs. someone who's going to set on the damn bench this year

I mean people trying to tell me Jimmy would/could contribute more than Tate is crazy. Pffft imagine if Tate was drafted to a good team or a team with a good QB, and he did his thing as we sat and watched this year

DAMN!!! Every time tonight I start warming up to the idea and rationalizing the pick I see a Jimmy Clausen Picture somewhere and it makes me want to puke! Then all progress I made is lost.... Just the fact that I really disliked this guy in college makes it not easy... among other reasons.

At least we did not trade our next year 1st round pick for him.

And what is that then?

A WASTE OF PICK

When we had Tate right there who has explosive ability and can be a great pick up vs. someone who's going to set on the damn bench this year

I mean people trying to tell me Jimmy would/could contribute more than Tate is crazy. Pffft imagine if Tate was drafted to a good team or a team with a good QB, and he did his thing as we sat and watched this year

A potential franchise QB in the 2nd round is NEVER a wasted pick.

Then we'll trade Jimmy or let him be the backup... if Matt Moore plays great than it's a win-win...

Also, regarding Clausens attitude.. I love it. I love competitiveness and a cocky attitude. Reminds me of Philip Rivers.

Personally, I agree about the attitude.....at least at the Pro level. I think The Golden Calf of Bristol, Bradford and McCoy are all great guys and great athletes, but sometimes I wonder if the "Aw shucks, I'm just one of the team" routine is just something that works for the college media audience and only if the team in front of you is far better than your competition.

In the NFL or NHL or NBA, "Aw shucks, I'm talented but humble" type players usually get their ass handed to them on a platter by junkyard dogs and badasses who want to win.

And what is that then?

A WASTE OF PICK

Look man, I'm agreeing with you that we should have picked Tate. I'm just saying it's not like we drafted The Golden Calf of Bristol. We drafted a guy who is regarded by many to be the most NFL ready quarterback in the draft.

I would have rather gotten Tate and stuck with Moore, but that didn't happen. There is no reason complaining about what's already happened. If Moore becomes amazing, then the last thing I'll be thinking about is how "DAMN we wasted a high 2nd round pick on Clausen!!" I'll be thinking "DAMN, we finally have a franchise QB!"

I'm complaining cause its unreal to me that they didn't get Matt any help, but decided to get him some competition. I mean what's going on here. Its not helping, but hurting us. Cause its not like Jimmy going to beat out Moore, and just lead us to the playoffs. Are we concentrating on this year or what

No matter how accurate Matt is, doesn't matter with no go to guys. We're going to be one dimensional again this year. I can see it now. Lafell? Come on now

My opinion? It STINKS!!!

Great freakin going FO.

Now you have taken away a good QB's confidence by selecting a literal "joke" and completely ignoring areas of need.

This is absolutely, 110%, completely, undeniabley a literally worthless pick.

Look at some of the other talent that was on the board at that time!!!!

One last thing, the stupid ass draft analyst referred to one of our RB's as "James Stewart" What a silly fine young male.

I'm sure the Chargers were thinking the same thing when they selected Phillip Rivers in the top 12 picks. Oh wait..

This pick makes more sense than ANY PICK that Marty Hurney has ever made. Its a win/win situation. If Matt Moore turns into a probowler then guess what...you trade Clausen for at least the pick we made for him. He is a first round talent that happened to fall because people didn't want to take QBs.

If Matt Moore ends up being a mediocre QB then you put Clausen in and IMO you have one of the best young QBs in the league. Then you do what you want with Moore.

IDT that the FO is sold on Matt Moore being the best QB for this team. It took Jake Delhomme literally melting down and becoming the worst QB in the league for them to end up playing Moore. I think that this was John Fox saying "get me a QB that will win games for me."

Who cares why someone else didn't take him? Mostof the first round teams didn't need a QB and most of the teams that did have a QB need also still have egg on their face and heavy financial losses on QB's they had drafted in previous first rounds that didn't work out. GM'shave to worry about their jobs too and if I was the guy who pulled the trigger on Jamarcus Russell, it'd be ahelluva long time before I drafted a QB in the first round no matter how good he was. Those are real career risks for a GM to consider.

Just watch the kid play. Why not? Why judge him by what other teams choose to do or not do when their is actual tape of his play. Golden Tate didn't bail him out. That's silly if you watch the tapes. Clausen consistently put the ball in spots where only tate or Floyd could get to it. When he threw INTs (not many) there was usually three fatass OL's laying on the ground like a sack of dog food while their block was chasing Clausen down.

And if you do watch the tapes, and you know anything about football, you'll see that he put up those huge numbers behind one of the most consistently inept offensive lines in the history of college football. They gave new meaning to the word suck.

Playing well behind the offensive lines he had at ND was like trying to do heart surgery on a rollercoaster....but you know what? That'll make him a better QB in the NFL. Someof these other rookie QB's will take one look at Ray Lewis on the blitz and crap their pants. Clausen's been there, done that and fought through it.

Clausen has the goods if you know what you're looking at. He may not have the ALL American boy qualities like Bradford, The Golden Calf of Bristol and McCoy, but in a head to head competition with equal players in front of them, Clausen will deliver the mail.

I got to see him play almost every week. He threw the ball up for grabs for Tate just like Delhomme did for years with Smith and Tate would come away with it. I am not a ND fan at all but I was always impressed by Tate making plays out of nothing and making circus catches on prayers from Clausen. Clausen never really impressed me. He may have had an inconsistent line, but he had some serious talent catching the ball for him and had a good run game (regardless of what people say, check the numbers, it was Clausen's 59 attempts at -1.6 a clip that killed the team average).

I think Colt may have something to say about having been through a blitz or 2 behind a bad O-line.

Archived