• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

trading our first rounder next year

invisible38833

I just can't get behind this thought again. I know it has worked for Otah and the verdict is still out on Brown, but we need to stop this trend if we ever want a first rounder someday in the actually draft. I hear a lot of people saying we might get an early 2nd rounder or a package for it, but it just bothers me that we keep our first round pick. How many would be in favor of trading next year's first rounder?

I could declare for the 2011 draft and get selected in the first three rounds. Someone will gamble that they'll be getting a top 10 pick next year and we'll be able to get a late first or early second with another late-rounder, say a fourth or fifth. In a very, very deep draft class.

fug it why not? I'd love to land 2 second round picks this year. If we could take care of both WR and DE/DT in the 2nd round we will be in good shape and that leaves us to go BPA the rest of the way. I honestly wouldn't mind. We will probably end up trading a player next year anyways to get in the 1st round range.

With a pending lockout on the horizon, it may be harder to find a trading partner. What team wants to sign 2 1st round picks only to have them sit on their arse because there is no training camp, preseason and perhaps a lot of the regular season?

What I like about the new setup is that there's a day between the first and second rounds. If Tate is still there after Thursday, we have all day to negotiate a trade, rather than being rushed into making one like with Brown and Otah.

We COULD come out with more value this time around than we have before. But like others have said, the 2011 draft is going to be a crapshoot in more ways than one. I still think we'll be able to trade our first and get whoever we're locked on to.

Considering the fact that the new rookie pay structure may be common ground the players/owners agree upon, we should look to keeping that next year's 1st.

If there is a work stoppage btw, how are the seniors handled for 2011. Never really put a whole lot of thought in it.

golden tate in the second rd? we'd be stupid not to trade to get him

takes two to tango, and who's really wanting to accept 2011/future draft picks when the future is still up in the air for next year and this being a deep draft

I'll be disappointed if we don't.

but what you've got to remember, is the market for a 1st rounder won't be as big as it was last year. everyone knows this draft class is unusually deep because of the uncertainty of 2011's lockout/rookie cap/etc. they may not even be able to trade for a 2nd rounder.

Only way I see it happening is if a team with multiple 2nd rounders(see: Patriots) is down to trade.

Archived