• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Hate job interviews!

Squirrel

Yep.

Hell, this summer I want to work a second job at Grove Park, so I'm gonna be a Cook at the Outdoor pool cabana. I've never had any Food and beverage experience before, never cooked in a restaurant setting, never even approached a restaurant kitchen, and there are probably dozens of people who are better qualified than me who applied for the job. Why did I get it? Because I already work there, and I'm in the same division.

This time it works out for me. But when I'm looking for a job outside the Grove Park Inn... :banghead:

Job Interviews: Where you show up early, look the best you can, have the biggest smile possible and a deep commitment to work for the company...then try to convince the manager that if he hires you, you'll be this way every single day.

Last two interviews I have went on didnt work like that. It was wake up early to catch a flight to a city 2 hours flying time away. Either have a rental car or ground transportation set up for you to take you to the interview still another 1 from where you landed. Get to the company and let the receptionist know you have a interview. Wait 20 - 30 minutes while the people that are supposed to interview find a place to conduct it. Spend the first 20 minutes taking a test then another 30 doing the interview. After that get a tour of the place and then sit with a person at a desk to see how they operate. After all that you drive back to the airport catch a flight at 7pm and dont get home til 11 pm. Just for a chance that they might call you back.

So I spend 17 hours up running around and the next day I am cranky and tired.

So much depends on networking now it's ridiculous.

Am I the only one who is uncomfortable asking people I know to pull strings? If there's someone I know who asks me for a favor because of a spot I'm in, that's no problem, but I just can't find it in me to ask someone for a favor. Part of it, I think, is because I don't want anyone to feel obligated to do something or put in a good word just because we know each other. Then again, if they didn't it would probably create some awkwardness.

Archived