• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The cherry tree was just the beginning

Jangler

http://www.wsbtv.com/nationalnews/23182667/detail.html

If George Washington were alive today, he might face a hefty overdue library fine.

New York City's oldest library says one of its ledgers shows that the president has racked up 220 years' worth of late fees on two books he borrowed, but never returned.

One of the books was the "Law of Nations," which deals with international relations. The other was a volume of debates from Britain's House of Commons.

Both books were due on Nov. 2, 1789.

New York Society Library head librarian Mark Bartlett says the institution isn't seeking payment of the fines, but would love to get the books back.

The ledger also lists books being taken out by other founding fathers, including Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr and John Jay.

The entry on Washington simply lists the borrower as "president."

lmao... "New York Society Library head librarian Mark Bartlett says the institution isn't seeking payment of the fines, but would love to get the books back."

tell me this is a joke.

people are outright ridiculous..

The quote sounds like it's out of context. If I was the Librarian, I'd want the books back too, NOT because I'm a crazy maniac, but because a) they are now historical objects and B), because they are at least 220 years old.

The quote sounds like it's out of context. If I was the Librarian, I'd want the books back too, NOT because I'm a crazy maniac, but because a) they are now historical objects and B), because they are at least 220 years old.

I gathered as much, and maybe it was taken out of context... I just don't see how they are going to find 2 books that have been lost for 220 years... seems like a shot in the dark.

Archived