• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

thoughts on ARI/ATL game and necessities to win

Dirtyphill411

I rewatched most of the Ari/Atl game and noticed that Ari is totally predicated on the big play- sustained drives are just not in their makeup with out one big play- now I know that often in this league you usually need one big play of 10+ yds to break open a drive because it is often too much to ask for a team to squeeze out 4+ 3rd and short to medium conversions but Ari is really dependent on it

Also I watched Edge turn a lot of yds on draw plays as the outside rush overran and the inside push was non-existent and where their LBs got sucked up into blockers- THAT CAN/Should NOT HAPPEN with us- I believe if we just stay disciplined that we will prevail-

Case in point on their first drive the safety bit on a play action flee-flicker and Fitzgerald came down with a TD- GODFREY last game against N.O. TOTALLY sniffed out a similar play from Brees and broke up the pass to colston- this shows that he has matured

I think if we can make sure to

1. hold the LOS with our line and backers

2. make sure to get a jam on the whomever the slot receiver is (Breaston/Boldin) to prevent any easy releases and unopposed crossing

routes

3. make sure our safeties play their deep responsibilites and keep the game in front of them- This is tied to number 1 as if Harris is needed to drop in to the box WE ARE IN TROUBLE...

4. I am not so worried about their TE's as POPE is a JOKE and Spach will hopefully be needed to chip/block on Peppers/Brayton- I expect Brayton to have a bigger game than Pep but we need to make sure to roll the blitz to his same side more often to prevent his overpursuit from open running lanes and open draws

5. Ill say what is totally obvious but still a truism- if we can get pressure with just our front 4- no contest- but we can still win if we can roll blitzes comfortably out of our nickel and make sure to jam the slot/TE to preven the safe cross routes of their speedy Boldin/Breaston

6. One final observation on the ATL game- BAKER the rookie Tackle was OWNED the entire game---he looked slow- hopefully our grass will negate their TURF speed and WARNERS comfortzone and Their CROWD noise which I think was a factor as well

As long as we can pound the rock with 34&28 we can eat up the clock and keep Warner off the field. And when they put eight in the box, that leaves Smith 1 on 1 and Jake will make their secondary pay. As far as our defense, we may need to roll Godfrey over to Lucas's side. Lucas hasn't looked good since the Tampa MNF game, and every team we played after that has been throwing at him. He needs to step up.

My thoughts are this....In the first game we gave up a turnover on the 5 yard line to spot them 7 points and then they had a nice drive to go up 17-3 in the 3rd. From that point on we outscored them 24-6. Another point to be made here is we could have hung more points on them. The closing drive went 11 plays and ended on knees on the Arizona 35 yard line. If the game clock allows I don't think theres any question that drive goes in for another TD making the scoring run effectively 31-6.

Arizona has had a nice year by Arizona standards but any realist can see that this team cannot compete with the Panthers. The 11 point 3.5 to 1 odds support the fact that I'm not just being a homer on the subject. It will be very difficult for Warner to do better than his 381 yards first time around and it wasn't enough then.

With that said, Carolina's plan will be the same plan they always have. Run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, hit Smitty deep, convert 3rd downs with Moose and Co., and the occasional trick play I.E. flea flicker, reverse, etc. The offense will get their job done, and I expect another 30+ point performance. Defensively, I don't think Carolina will stop Arizona from gaining yardage. I expect the focus to be on red zone stops. Force field goals on successful Arizona drives. It will be that same bend but don't break defense that drives Carolina fans mad.

At the end of all this IMHO Carolina D > Arizona D, Carolina O > Arizona O, playing at BoA, playing on the East Coast, 8-0 Home record, Arizona 0-5 east coast...on and on....if Arizona wins this game props to them, they will have beaten a better team against the odds.

At the end of all this IMHO Carolina D > Arizona D, Carolina O > Arizona O, playing at BoA, playing on the East Coast, 8-0 Home record, Arizona 0-5 east coast...on and on....if Arizona wins this game props to them, they will have beaten a better team against the odds.

As long as the Panthers aren't thinking this, come out with an intent to bust the Cards in the chops. we'll be OK.

Fast start and keep the hammer down FTW.

As long as the Panthers aren't thinking this, come out with an intent to bust the Cards in the chops. we'll be OK.

Fast start and keep the hammer down FTW.

I don't have an issue with the Panthers believing their a better team as long as it doesn't affect their execution.

When confidence affects execution its called "Looking past the opponent"

When confidence doesn't affect execution its called "Swagger"

I don't mind this team having some "Swagger" I want perfect execution.

I don't have an issue with the Panthers believing their a better team as long as it doesn't affect their execution.

When confidence affects execution its called "Looking past the opponent"

When confidence doesn't affect execution its called "Swagger"

I don't mind this team having some "Swagger" I want perfect execution.

It was interesting to read (panthers.com) that the team was practicing out in the rain yesterday. Full pads were required for the morning practice and Fox gave them the option of no pads in the afternoon but some of the players, I think it was Pep and Moose said that they wanted to stay in full pads.

It sounds to me that they are taking this game seriously.

Its no secret the Panthers are a better football team. We are after all the Arizona Cardinals. As a season ticket holder for 7 years now I can honestly admit that it will take a minor miracle much like when NC State and Jimmy V upset Houston for the NCAA basketball championship in 83, for the Cardinals to win this game. Carolina however has the recipe for Playoff success in the NFL, they Run the Ball and control the line of scrimmage. Its all about the trenches. Your D Tackles are stout, and if Otah is healthy your run game will be much better then it was when we met earlier this year (Which was still pretty damb good).

The only way I can see the Cardinals standing a chance in this game is if we find a way to stop the run (which we have done this year against the top three rushing offenses in the league), and we are going to have to get some turnovers and an early lead.

I don't hold out much hope, but hey its good to dream!

Carolina should be able to win, I just hope we cover the spread.

:smilielol5:

That just made the rest of your thread irrelevent.

If you look at the past 8 weeks, that is debatable. Cards are better than Panthers at passing, but the Panthers are more capable at getting big plays and consistency from the pass game than the Cards are from their running game. And obviously the #3 run game is better than the #32 run game.

The Panthers need to be the ones sustaining long drives. Yes we run the ball, but even when we score sometimes, it can be very quick. This is a good thing, to have that capability obviously, but the defense doesnt get a lot of rest. I am yearning for a nice 13 play drive that results in a TD. Let's just go ahead and take the run game away from them from the very beginning and not give them the option. Those draws out of shotgun have killed us in big games(NYG). Other than that, just play our game, be the more physical team, knock some heads and I trust Fox to come up with something like he usually does in playoff games.

Archived