• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best war movie ever

Matt Foley

1. Saving Private Ryan

2. Hurt Locker

3. Black Hawk Down

Yeah I'm a modernist, but it's hard to watch a war movie without special effects. And the German tanks in Patton are just repainted American tanks. It took me right out of the movie.

But here's a real dark horse for you: All Quiet on the Western Front. Brilliant film. And there hasn't been a really good WWI movie in ages.

I think that Hurt Locker is probably the most indicative of what the war it features is actually like compared to other War movies. Iraq isn't always a shooting war; it's about paranoia, IEDs and insurgency.

It was also interesting to see what a woman could do at the helm of a war flick. It's a war movie with very little gore; which I can appreciate. I think there are maybe 3-5 on-screen deaths, and most of those are out of focus or far away. I think the male directors tend to use a war movie as a license to have some body parts go flying.

Plus Sgt. James was a very well developed character, and Renner did great job playing him. You usually don't get that kind of character development in a war movie; you get the bare bones. i.e. Pvt. Reiben is from Brooklyn, and has a snarky, pugnacious New Yorker personality.

Hurt Locker was a Fantastic movie all around in my book.

The Deer Hunter. It does an amazing job of showing the psychological damage of war. Whether you were there or not. The inability of people at home being able to relate and communicate with those who saw some atrocious caca. The soldiers coming back to being treated like dirt and then try to assimilate back into society.

All Quiet gets me to this day. I remember vividly when I watched it the first time in 6th grade AG class, the bit where the artillery blows up the trench and all that's left is the guys hands grabbing the barbed wire is burned into my memory.

great movie and great book

wow...I'm going with Saving Private Ryan..but there are many others so close.

Black Hawk Down

the attack part of the movie of Pearl Harbour was fantastic

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket...all very good

Braveheart is a damn fine movie as well.

and I agree...Hurt Locker told the story very well, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

Archived