• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Today's office debate: Wes Anderson films.

pstall

Not my kind of humor at all. I got about 5 minutes into The Royal Tennenbaums, and then decided watching reruns of Jackass was more interesting.

I mean even the quotes from IMDB aren't funny.

Chas: Looks like you and Dad are back together again, huh.

Richie: He's your dad too, Chas.

Chas: No, he's not.

Richie: Yes, he is.

Chas: You really hate me, don't you?

Richie: No. I don't. I love you.

Chas: Well, I don't know what you think you're gonna get out of this, but believe me, whatever it is, it's not worth it.

Richie: Chas. I don't want to hurt you. I know what you and the boys have been through. You're my brother and I love you.

Chas: Stop saying that!

lol?

There's a way to do the whole situational deadpan comedy thing, and it ain't Wes Anderson. If you want to see it done right, watch Wonderboys.

Not my kind of humor at all. I got about 5 minutes into The Royal Tennenbaums, and then decided watching reruns of Jackass was more interesting.

I mean even the quotes from IMDB aren't funny.

lol?

There's a way to do the whole situational deadpan comedy thing, and it ain't Wes Anderson. If you want to see it done right, watch Wonderboys.

But it's not deadpan humor. He makes very specifc and eccentric takes on things.

If a filmmaker makes 2 great movies and 2 good movies, I'd say he's a very good/arguably great filmmaker.

"great" is relative. I just think his films are kinda pretentious and more clever than they are actually funny. Not necessarily a bad thing, just sorta is what it is. He's steadily tracked away from having any real soul or life in his films (which was what made the early ones good) to this sort of panoramic, static weirdness. It's not particularly interesting or unique to me, it's just passively weird and that doesn't cut it. If I want weird I'll watch lynch.

I did here that Fantastic Mr. Fox was really good though and I want to see it.

And to me what makes a great director is a viewpoint that's added to films, something that speaks to an idea larger than what's happening onscreen. Forced eccentricity is not that.

But it's not deadpan humor. He makes very specifc and eccentric takes on things.

It's rarely any humor at all. It's almost condescending, like "If you don't find this amusing, you are a boorish oaf". That's why he doesn't do anything at the box office. Too eccentric.

Mike Judge, on the other hand, makes funny movies that have a lot to do with what we consider modern pop culture, yet he's not on the same level, critically, as Anderson.

I guess I don't like eccentric humor then. Would you say that Barry Sonnenfeld is eccentric humor too? Because I hate his stuff as well (Except the absolutely brilliant Addams Family movies).

Archived