• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Someone financially smarter than me...

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Riddle me this:

There's an ad on some local radio stations for a stock analyst named "Kramer". He charges a fee in order to send out mass emails of advice on what stocks to buy, what not to buy, and what to sell.

Now, it seems to me, that this is an attempt to manufacture a stock price. He tells people to buy, more people buy, stock price goes up, then he gets to sell at a higher price before telling others to sell.

Is my logic off there?

Could be.

But if you're talking about Jim Cramer, I think the only stock he owns anymore is in a charitable trust.

He generally doesn't do that great of a job picking stocks anyway if you ask me.

Yeah, that guy. Couldn't remember the first name.

Just seemed like a good scheme to run to me. If he's not actually buying his own stock suggestions, then good for him.

Now that I think about it, new question, is that illegal? Offering advice in the stock market to try to affect your own stock prices? Kind of a reverse insider trading.

Cramer's a snake oil salesman.

When investing in pure equities remember...it's just Vegas without the free drinks.

I've got my own stock advisor that I can go see face to face whenever I want, plus relatives who have years of stock trading experience and a wife who knows a good deal when she sees one.

No need for Cramer. Just got curious.

I watch a small fraction of his show during the week to know where the pump and dumper's are going to be. He does have enough juice to move a price though so I wouldn't fully throw him under the bus.

For the macro picture I go with Kudlow & Co and the micro I go Fast Money.

Of course I watch some other shows and scan the globe but not too much.

Supposedly there is a newsletter out there a guy charges 50 a month for and he is only up like 691% the last year or so.

Wonder who that is?

Archived