• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Break Your Silence!!!!

Dpantherman

Are you thinking of joining? I was in one for 4 years. 2 of those years I was in charge of the pledges "activities". You can't get away with the things you used to 10-15 years ago. Too many kids complain or talk and college admins have zero tolerance for hazing.

I would say some of the worst thing I would make our pledges do was,excessive running, verbal and social humilation.

One frat on my campus used to throw a party and make their pledges run around naked during it (the ghey). Another frat would line up pledges in nothing but boxers, and blast them with a pressure washer. I heard that another would make their pledges swim across a dirrrrty lake when it was 30 degrees outside.

My roommate joined another frat, and the brothers would get a 5 gal bucket and lock pledges in a room for an hour and make the pledges consume whatever was in the bucket. There was spit, piss, nasty liquor and other digusting things put into a blender (like sardins, rotten veggies, and really any nasty thing you can think of). He told me the smell alone would make you gag.

Although while some of the things you here about a frat are bad, it was seriuosly the best expereince that I could have asked for in college. The guys that u meet become lifelong friends, and you get to do some really awesome things that normal students do do (I.e. Greek week, formals, camping, mountain weekend, etc...). Obviously its not an expereience for everyone, but I sure had a great time. Plus have those leadership roles looks fantastic on a resume!

My radio program in college broke a story about some serious hazing gaing on with one of the frats. Their hazing included laying naked face down in vomit, and getting dilluted bleach poured over their heads and in their eyes. The story resulted in an investigation that got the frat kicked of campus. *Pats self on back*

My personal pledging experience was a little more tame. Wednesdays we always had to stop by the house for some activities, which usually included cleaning and then drinking. Every friday was "Fun Friday," where the brothers would make you drink until you passed out, threw up, or both. Pretty standard fare.

But in general, and in contrast to the Marlboro Man, I think frats are a total waste. When I finally sobered up long enough to check my GPA while I was pledging, I was shocked to find that my GPA was a 1.4. And that night, I was on the floor cleaning shiz off their disgusting bathroom tiles with a toothbrush, and realized that this was retarded. I depledged that night, it was too late to save my Pre-med career (given all the courses I would have had to retake), but I changed majors and never got below a 3.5 GPA after that.

And all this nonsense about making lifelong friends. Some of the guys you get along with, some of the guys you don't. Some become lifelong friends. It's kind of like normal social interaction (I know I have some lifelong friends that weren't from the frat), except your paying dues every semester for these friends.

And all this nonsense about making lifelong friends. Some of the guys you get along with, some of the guys you don't. Some become lifelong friends. It's kind of like normal social interaction (I know I have some lifelong friends that weren't from the frat), except your paying dues every semester for these friends.

This.

I've never understood people paying to be humiliated by "friends". If you have to pay for your friends I feel bad for you.

Are you thinking of joining? I was in one for 4 years. 2 of those years I was in charge of the pledges "activities". You can't get away with the things you used to 10-15 years ago. Too many kids complain or talk and college admins have zero tolerance for hazing.

nah, i have neither the time nor the desire. i just wanted someone to dish the dirt

I was not hazed nor did we haze pledges once I was a brother in my frat. We did some late night "kidnapping" and stuff like that, but nothing like "laying in vomit" or "pouring bleach on their heads" or stupid crap like that.

We had to interview all the brothers, go on retreats, stuff like that...

I pretended to rush a frat when i was in school. Went to the party, got drunk, they had strippers downstairs. It was pretty fun but I knew this was the "tease" to get you to really pledge. at one point there was a stripper in the middle of the floor and a circle of guys. ... She came up to me, I gave her a dollar, she pulled down my pants and started sucking me. You try getting hard with 40 dudes standing around you yelling "SUCK SUCK SUCK". yeah. Good times, good times...

I was in one way back in the eighties before all of the hazing rules came into effect and it was a pretty rough and humiliating experience....we were all assigned a 'brother' and we basically had to kiss his ass; do his laundry, bring him food/beer back to his dorm room, deliver messages to his GF (no internet then)....we had flour and syrup dumped on us, paddled on the quad in front of everybody....just all kind of bs like that for a couple of weeks. I would never do that crap again...back then it was considered 'cool' if you could stick it out and be a member....there were lots of parties and we did get laid alot but hell, you don't need to be in a fraternity to accomplish that anymore.

Play rugby. Dues are cheaper.

This!

Not only are the dues cheaper, but at Maryland, the Rugby team owned Route 1. They got preferential treatment at every bar (probably because every bouncer was a present or former Rugby player). I went bar hopping with a friend from the Rugby club one night, got into all 3 College Park bars without a cover, had hot bartenders hooking us up with free drinks, had every girl fawning over us, and no drunk dumbasses were stupid enough to try to start shiz with eight 250 pound guys. Plus you get in shape rather than getting pear-shaped with all the shut-in alcoholics in the frat.

I should have joined up with them instead of pledging, but I was afraid of getting hurt (Captroop as a Freshman was a bit of a pussapoo).

And one final note, because it's worth calling out. When you are in a frat, yeah, you hook up with a lot of chicks. But frats attract a certain demographic of chicks: fish taco. The girls that the rugby players hooked up with? Basically all hot dance club girls.

So I am guessing that you must be going on vacation this week? Cause you know they are going to bant you for this.

The Tinderbox is going to be boring for awhile CWG and Rodeo won't ever leave this thread.

Just depends on how drunk they are when they see it. ;)

Best decision of my college career. Spent one semester of hell to have 8 more semesters of kids driving me around to bars, cleaning my house and bringing me random poo at 3 am.

Plus having a fraternity house where there was always someone looking to drink and do dumb poo was also a major plus. And most sorority chicks preferred fraternity guys anyway.

Archived