• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Help me Understand- Attendance

theyhateme45

I will be honest; I only watch some baseball in the postseason and a few during the season.

I am looking at sportscenter right now and they just showed highlights from the Cincinnati Florida Game...

My Question is how is there still a team in Florida?? When they were showing Jorge Cantu homerun this was literally nobody in the stands!! I had to rewind my tivo and watch in slow motion to make sure I was seeing things correctly. I would assume attendance would be higher the first weeks of the season.

All those empty seats, I don't see why Carolina can't have an MLB team... It can't get much worst.

I did find this

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Reds-Rolen-In-Florida-Beat-Marlins-In-10/1lWOaW_tgkGTTZYiad2j7Q.cspx

...Few saw the drama. Announced attendance was 10,119, and the actual crowd totaled about 3,000. Florida has finished last in the NL in attendance every year since 2005....

I am assuming if the first few home games are like this, most of the season has these kinds of numbers... Are other MLB teams experiencing these types of empty ballparks??

Florida is the worst for it by far....no one at Marlins games or Rays games usually (unless the Yankees are in town.)......Florida is not a good state for sports in general....look at Jax Jags games or even a Miami Hurricane game.

The big thing with baseball is revenue sharing.....the big market teams distribute the wealth to the smaller market teams. Kind of like in real life......the rich carry the poor. Baseball I think will have $8 billion in revenue this year. I don't know the exact numbers but I think a team like the Marlins get around $50 million in revenue sharing and last year they had a payroll of about $36 million so they made 14 millions before selling single jersey, ticket, or hotdog.

Florida is the worst for it by far....no one at Marlins games or Rays games usually (unless the Yankees are in town.)......Florida is not a good state for sports in general....look at Jax Jags games or even a Miami Hurricane game.

The big thing with baseball is revenue sharing.....the big market teams distribute the wealth to the smaller market teams. Kind of like in real life......the rich carry the poor. Baseball I think will have $8 billion in revenue this year. I don't know the exact numbers but I think a team like the Marlins get around $50 million in revenue sharing and last year they had a payroll of about $36 million so they made 14 millions before selling single jersey, ticket, or hotdog.

Thanks... answers all my questions. I wonder how all the wealthy teams feel about carrying the league... especially if the smaller market teams are just collecting the checks and not even trying to be competitive and raise revenue.

I really don't understand why Florida teams do so bad with fan support.

People in Florida have a multitude of other entertainment options.

Also, I think team history, which is non-existent in Florida, has something to do with it as well. The Trop is a dump too.

Other teams deal with revenue sharing, otherwise they wouldn't have anyone to play.

Also, all fans should understand that while the TEAMS compete against one another, owners are essentially business partners.

That fact is something everyone should be reminded of, including fans of the NFL.

People in Florida have a multitude of other entertainment options.

Also, I think team history, which is non-existent in Florida, has something to do with it as well. The Trop is a dump too.

Other teams deal with revenue sharing, otherwise they wouldn't have anyone to play.

Also, all fans should understand that while the TEAMS compete against one another, owners are essentially business partners.

That fact is something everyone should be reminded of, including fans of the NFL.

its not so much of the fact that the Trop is a dump....the area its in is not easy to get to and parking is f-ing terrible plus the area surrounding the place is straight hood

there was a study done by the ABC Coalition.....Tampa would be a more suitable area for the Rays,esp. Downtown

nice explanation on how it works JR...but that being said...there is still an enormous issue with it! If I am one of those rich teams supporting a Florida team, I am pissed!!! Cut back the number of teams or expand to Mexico or Puerto Rico or somewhere that people will support their team.

oh...and one other thing...I think it's absolutely retarded that fans have to pay an extra fee when Boston or the Yankees come to town...thats fuged up.

Archived