• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Windows Task Manager

dimbee

My laptop/internet seemed to be running slower than usual tonight, which made me curious. I want to caveat this with, I am not a computer tech person. I am great WITH computers, just not great with how to keep them the most efficient. So, to the point- In the Processes tab in Task Manager, there seems to be a lot of things listed. I have 11 described as "Host Process for Windows Services." My CPU Usage is up and down, based upon what, I have no idea. It will be at 53% then drop to 8%. No fuggen idea what that means. Memory is fine. Any flares going up for any of you more technical folk?

Thanks.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Why Are There So Many svchost.exes Running?

If you’ve ever taken a look at the Services section in control panel you might notice that there are a Lot of services required by Windows. If every single service ran under a single svchost.exe instance, a failure in one might bring down all of Windows… so they are separated out.

Those services are organized into logical groups, and then a single svchost.exe instance is created for each group. For instance, one svchost.exe instance runs the 3 services related to the firewall. Another svchost.exe instance might run all the services related to the user interface, and so on.

So What Can I Do About It?

You can trim down unneeded services by disabling or stopping the services that don’t absolutely need to be running. Additionally, if you are noticing very heavy CPU usage on a single svchost.exe instance you can restart the services running under that instance.

The biggest problem is identifying what services are being run on a particular svchost.exe instance… we’ll cover that below.

If you are curious what we’re talking about, just open up Task Manager and check the “Show processes from all users” box:

Archived