• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I just had a steak for dinner

Jangler

Sounds like our house. Rarely do we do steak anymore or even hamburger. I've even switched over to turkey hamburger. Well, I've bought it. It's still in the freezer.

Same here. I used to cook burgers all the time. Well, I still do, but I use the ground turkey.

Turkey burgers can be quite good -- you've just got to dress them up a little. I like to season the turkey meat with sea salt, black peppercorns, and a little Cholula roasted garlic seasoning. When they're done, I throw on some low-fat spicy guacamole, tomatoes, and green chiles. Pretty damned tasty, and this coming from a guy who loves red meat in all its forms.

Same here. I used to cook burgers all the time. Well, I still do, but I use the ground turkey.

Turkey burgers can be quite good -- you've just got to dress them up a little. I like to season the turkey meat with sea salt, black peppercorns, and a little Cholula roasted garlic seasoning. When they're done, I throw on some low-fat spicy guacamole, tomatoes, and green chiles. Pretty damned tasty, and this coming from a guy who loves red meat in all its forms.

Oh, now my family might eat those. They sound great.

I've got my entire family on an eating plan. I don't like to cook, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna cook separate meals - they can eat healthy right along with me.

there's a guy I play indoor soccer with in the winter...he showed up at the beginning of this season and he was seriously half the man he used to be. Said all he really did was cut out red meat and started doing a little running. Bastard!

Steak au poivre - Not healthy but really good.

i recommend having your butcher cut really thick rib-eye and turning those into tenderloin sized chunks.

crowd pleaser

Ingredients

4 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick

Kosher salt

2 tablespoons whole peppercorns

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon

1 cup heavy cream

Directions

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.

Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the

peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.

In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently

place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil

and set aside. Pour off the excess fat but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.

Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the

flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a

spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon

the sauce over, and serve.

Turkey is better in stuff like a meat sauce for spaghetti etc. Chili, sloppy joes, all that kinda stuff. Your kids won't know the difference. I've never had turkey sausage I'm sure that would be good.

Burgers are just too hard to keep juicy. They're not that bad but I don't get the point. I'd rather not eat burgers if I can't have the real thing. Red fatty meat is the only way to go for burgers.

Never thought about turkey sloppy joes. I'll have to try that. I like turkey burgers, as long as they are properly dressed - I dress them similar to what Scrum described. I grill them at lower heat to help limit that nasty smell they put off.

I love steak. When I'm home, I grill about once every week or two. When I know I'm going to have guests, I usually start prepping 3 days in advance. My ribeyes are incredibly tender and juicy.

Archived