• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We have to figure out our future core team

RumHam

14 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I wouldn't say that would make him a core player. That would just make him a huge mistake and untradable.

I guess that's true. I do think he is the only drafted player we have that is close to elite. I would be reluctant to let him go.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I guess that's true. I do think he is the only drafted player we have that is close to elite. I would be reluctant to let him go.

My saying I wouldn't consider him a core player is only if he doesn't recover fully from the injury. If he gets back to what he was, then the contract is worth it and he would be the core player since the team doesn't have anyone else. It would be a very Tepper's Panthers' thing for Brown to not recover and they have to eat the contract.

• Beer 1

44 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Signing Dionte to a deal would be such a waste of cap space and his time.  Nice player but hes too old to be in the long term plans and he will want to get paid. Use that money elsewhere, like defense. 

We will need a true veteran in that group. So if we don't sign him,  we will need someone to show these kids what it means to be a pro. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

The real question is how long will we have to wait to get them?

3yrs.... like i said 3 years ago if we do everything right...we didn't even come close.... You have to accept sucking to build over the next few years... a lesson Dipper didn't know...and prolly still doesn't....

Edited by Johnstonny
  • Pie 2

50 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

We need... and believe me it pains me to say this.... a defense-minded coach.  For whatever reason they are just way, way better at these rebuild projects.  

I don't know how accurate that statement is, but I would say with a strong defense it is more likely a team can control the game and grind out wins against better competition sometimes, rather than playing shootouts where the team with the ball last, wins.

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

Our roster has had holes since before tepper bought the team. The corner stones retired and we're shipped off. 

The remaining talent was also shipped off and traded away as if they weren't needed when we would have a QB. 

Pretty much. They approached every season since Tepper took over as if they were just a couple of players away from being a dynasty. Not to mention Tepper is trying his best to out stupid Jerry Jones with team building. 

• Beer 1

Keep developing this draft class (XL, Coker, JT, Brooks, Wallace should get plenty of snaps as starters).  Build around DB on defense, make a decision on Horn.  Hunt, Icky, and Lewis are good for the next couple years.  Sell off anyone else that can get you decent value and keep drafting.  

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

The real question is how long will we have to wait to get them?

If we somehow magically learn to draft well [I know, don’t laugh], it will take at least 3 more drafts to produce a roster that can go 9-7 or 10-6 consistently.  Doing it in 2 would mean that we have miraculously ‘caught lightning in a bottle’, landing the future Luke, Cam, Smitty, Peppers in back to back drafts.  Those are some long odds.

IMG_2655.jpeg

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Everyone on defense is expendable outside of Brown (which he may never recover), Woods and Horn. The young linebacker we have needs to be here. But the rest of the front seven can literally go. We shouldn't be running three down lineman. IT DOESN'T WORK. At least the offensive line is mostly fine. Thomas needs to sit on the side of the road and Sanders be #1 for experience. Mingo can go, Carter can stay, Miles Sanders SHOULD NEVER SEE THE FIELD.

This organization needs to plan for the future and those looking for a trade now to fix everything, it isn't happening. Usually trading for WR midseason never works out. But if we can get someone to take Sanders and absorb the contract, that should be the #1 goal. Chuba needs to absolutely stay as does Dionte.

Where is this coming from that Brown may never recover? Woods is trash, the keepers on defense are Horn and Mike Jackson. Some of the first and second year guys can’t be thrown out with the bath water either. And Jewell looked solid until he got injured. But we definitely need a couple pass rushers, a LB or two and two Safeties. 

16 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

If we somehow magically learn to draft well [I know, don’t laugh], it will take at least 3 more drafts to produce a roster that can go 9-7 or 10-6 consistently.  Doing it in 2 would mean that we have miraculously ‘caught lightning in a bottle’, landing the future Luke, Cam, Smitty, Peppers in back to back drafts.  Those are some long odds.

IMG_2655.jpeg

When people balked at me saying "years" for this building, I couldn't really understand why. I don't think people appreciated how big this building effort was nor how bad our roster was(some of us tried to warn everyone here).

This is not a small undertaking. It's massive.

• Pie 2