• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Even swap, Bryce for Fields and Fields starts the rest of the way........?

4 hours ago, csx said:

What type of drug do you suggest slipping the Steelers to accomplish this?

I think they call that "drug" an offer don't they? You never know unless you try and who knows, they may feel Bryce could be fixed. Fields is seen as a let down and Bryce is younger so potentially some team may view him as fixable. Or I guess we can just let Bryce stand there and hold a clip board doing nothing?

1 hour ago, TEClemson53 said:

buddy, we had a thread on KYLE TRASK ffs............ of course we're going to get a thread about trading for a glorified running back. 

Hey, at least Fields can do SOMETHING and offer the team SOMETHING at all other than cheerleader/clip board holder you dont want to EVER come in because you know he can do nothing more than throw a three yard pass.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

They can't eat Young's dead money until the end of the season. Maybe if they do a fire sale but then why bring in Fields for a year when you just sold off the guys he will need the rest of the season?

If that's the case then we cant even trade him this season I guess unfortunately. Off season, Bryce should be traded for something but I can't imagine we are going to be getting anything at all for him potentially other than some player everyone writes off as a disappointment or bust themselves in an even swap.

• Beer 1

43 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Passing on Fields is the one thing Rhule did right. Well, that and letting his wife draft Chubba.

If I had to choose between Fields and Bryce, I would take Fields all day. He at very minimum does not play scared out of his mind and will throw a ball downfield further than 3 yards even if he is not the most accurate. He is at least a backup QB in this league that you could have. Bryce on the other hand is not a capable backup from what I have seen last season and this season.

It would make more sense to wait until the offseason and negotiate a contract with him given he will be a free agent.  And before anyone says, "why would he sign here?"  Well, we are one of the few places he would start day one, assuming we don't draft a QB.  

• Beer 2

Just now, Mage said:

It would make more sense to wait until the offseason and negotiate a contract with him given he will be a free agent.  And before anyone says, "why would he sign here?"  Well, we are one of the few places he would start day one, assuming we don't draft a QB.  

Makes sense and I see what you mean. I realize he is no savior as of today but potentially Fields could be fixable to some degree even to be a reliable quality backup IF he did not want a monster payday. Not many other alternatives unless of course they do draft a new QB as you said

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

If that's the case then we cant even trade him this season I guess unfortunately. Off season, Bryce should be traded for something but I can't imagine we are going to be getting anything at all for him potentially other than some player everyone writes off as a disappointment or bust themselves in an even swap.

It's trade or being him to camp knowing he won't make the 53 with actual competition. But it won't be until the offseason.

That's why playing him as little as possible while making it look like training is 100% the right call.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Makes sense and I see what you mean. I realize he is no savior as of today but potentially Fields could be fixable to some degree even to be a reliable quality backup IF he did not want a monster payday. Not many other alternatives unless of course they do draft a new QB as you said

I don't necessarily disagree.  I'm just not sure the likelihood of it being worth it is all that high.  It would likely take Fields at least 2-3 weeks to get comfortable with the playbook, which means we're not getting anything out of him until Week 12 at the earliest.  

You could point to Malik Willis and the Packers and how quickly he was able to get on the field and produce, but LaFleur is just that good of a coach and Packers are a much better team than us.  Same with Dobbs and Kevin O'Connell last year.  

Even if Fields is good, what is the payoff for the Panthers?  They would still have to negotiate a contract with him after the season, the same position they would be in if they didn't make a trade for Bryce.  And it isn't like we're anywhere close to a playoff team, so having a one-year rental at QB doesn't provide any benefit to us.

Don't get me wrong, I agree somewhat with the thought process.  I'd love to swap Bryce out for Fields.  But considering the circumstances, it just makes more sense to stick with Bryce as our back-up.

Edited by Mage
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's trade or being him to camp knowing he won't make the 53 with actual competition. But it won't be until the offseason.

That's why playing him as little as possible while making it look like training is 100% the right call.

Totally agree on playing him as little as possible for sure! Nobody needs any more of that play!

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

I don't necessarily disagree.  I'm just not sure the likelihood of it being worth it is all that high.  It would likely take Fields at least 2-3 weeks to get comfortable with the playbook, which means we're not getting anything out of him until Week 12 at the earliest.  

You could point to Malik Willis and the Packers and how quickly he was able to get on the field and produce, but LaFleur is just that good of a coach and Packers are a much better team than us.  Same with Dobbs and Kevin O'Connell last year.  

Even if Fields is good, what is the payoff for the Panthers?  They would still have to negotiate a contract with him after the season, the same position they would be in if they didn't make a trade for Bryce.  And it isn't like we're anywhere close to a playoff team, so having a one-year rental at QB doesn't provide any benefit to us.

Don't get me wrong, I agree somewhat with the thought process.  I'd love to swap Bryce out for Fields.  But considering the circumstances, it just makes more sense to stick with Bryce as our back-up.

You make complete sense and thinking about it from your standpoint is the best way to move forward as you said. Having him the rest of the season just because Bryce isnt an NFL QB and Dalton is struggling really does nobody any good in this wasted season anyhow. Any we are definitely not the Packers or anywhere even close thats for sure!