• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pssssstttt.... Hey Tepper ..

Zod

10 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont get this take.. I get that people here hate Tepper, but BY was the #1 or #2 on everyone's board.. So its not like we stretched to draft him. 

There is also nothing new about a 1st round QB failing. We took who most people said was the best prospect and he wasn't. Nothing new under the sun on that. 

There is no way Frank Reich wanted a midget qb.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

::sigh::  you simply dont know this

But it’s a pretty good guess.

The vast majority of the normal sources who report on this stuff every year had Bryce as one of the top 2 QBs, if not the top.

This was not Tepper going against the grain to prove how smart he was.

Once we traded all the way to 1 I knew we were taking Bryce because teams don’t trade up to one to go out on a limb to take someone that nobody else wanted.  

• Pie 1

It was so plainly obvious it's comical.

On the flip side Stroud's arm talent slapped you in the face off the tape. It was glaring. Even Richardson and Levis were phsyically doing things Young simply couldn't.

But the media kept pumping up the Bryce Young hype machine mainly because he played for Alabama.

What makes matters worse is before and after the draft you couldn't tell anyone otherwise. If you had the audacity to even offer a hint of doubt about Bryce Young maybe not being the greatest rookie QB of all time over the other prospects who were regarded as subpar at best and had their character and IQ called into question you were shouted down. These folks did the Tepper's bidding for them and then some.

All I can tell you is never again do I want to hear this fairytale media driven nonsense about phsyical outliers for the most important position in football. You draft for physical traits and hire the right coach to mold the rest from there. Some of it is dumb luck. But you need the phsyical talent foundation first and foremost to start. You don't start with a QB who would be tiny even in high school football.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

29 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

But it’s a pretty good guess.

The vast majority of the normal sources who report on this stuff every year had Bryce as one of the top 2 QBs, if not the top.

This was not Tepper going against the grain to prove how smart he was.

Once we traded all the way to 1 I knew we were taking Bryce because teams don’t trade up to one to go out on a limb to take someone that nobody else wanted.  

so if you believe that, that they truly had him ranked that high, then you have to acknowledge that many people on here are way more knowledgeable about qb scouting then some of these "professionals".  Or maybe just maybe its all a racket of people feeding supposed info for favors and whatnot.  I mean remember the kiper/clausen debacle.

And one thing to remember is that these scouts dont see teams big board.  they could be telling the scout whatever they want but their board could be completely different.  I mean if you believe reports numerous teams had bryce completely off their board due to size

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

No.  A large part of the huddle knew how this was going to end.  And alas here we are.  The damn head coach will not even play him in a 30 point blowout, that is as telling as anything IMO.  There was literally no reason to not play Young unless he is incapable of even trotting out there.

He doesnt trot, he hops. 

3 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont get this take.. I get that people here hate Tepper, but BY was the #1 or #2 on everyone's board.. So its not like we stretched to draft him. 

There is also nothing new about a 1st round QB failing. We took who most people said was the best prospect and he wasn't. Nothing new under the sun on that. 

Every year the pundits seem to get their jollies over whatever new evaluation tool they cook up. They all seem to have a spin on whatever cognitive dimension they want to evaluate…

problem is football a game of giant gladiators whose sole purpose is to dominate and break the will of their opponent as quickly as possible. 

If you’re selling the farm, hopefully, you choose someone who looks like a football player. 

I’m not convinced that everyone has their own board. It’s all a big echo chamber. They all use the same phrases and buzzwords. It’s all a big collective with detractors being shunned. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Every year the pundits seem to get their jollies over whatever new evaluation tool they cook up. They all seem to have a spin on whatever cognitive dimension they want to evaluate…

problem is football a game of giant gladiators whose sole purpose is to dominate and break the will of their opponent as quickly as possible. 

If you’re selling the farm, hopefully, you choose someone who looks like a football player. 

I’m not convinced that everyone has their own board. It’s all a big echo chamber. They all use the same phrases and buzzwords. It’s all a big collective with detractors being shunned. 

Spot fuging on

55 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

This.

I don't think anyone would fault the organization for missing on Bryce if we'd taken him number 1 overall. Misses happen. We'd be salty, for sure, considering we could have had Stroud. But we'd get over it.

But you simply cannot trade your first round pick, next year's first round pick, the following year's second round pick, and your #1 wide receiver for a player who isn't a consensus #1 overall generational QB. ESPECIALLY if the guy you're giving all that up for doesn't look like a prototypical NFL QB.

I've never seen, and I hope I never experience again, such a franchise-derailing move. This wasn't a setback. This was a collapse.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, jasonluckydog said:

Wasn't you all excited when we drafted the midget? I'm pretty sure 90 percent here was whooping it up when we he was drafted.

I was a Bryce guy. It was a huge mistake and it was honestly obvious after year one.

• Pie 1